How futureproof are the new iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Benjobox, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Benjobox macrumors newbie

Hi all

I'm seriously contemplating purchasing my first iPhone. I live in the UK, and I'll be buying outright, so my options are:-

5S: £459 / £499 (16 / 32)
    6: £539 / £619 (16 / 64)

I'm not considering the 5C or the 6+ at present.

Now, I'm going to need multiple years of use of my device to justify the kind of purchase costs we're talking about here.

I've done some research, and it seems that 1gb of RAM (which the current models are equipped with) may become problematic in the near future.

So what kind of lifespan do you envisage the 5S and 6 as having?

Many thanks in advance

2. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

With the technical beast as the 5s was, the 6 series trumps it. That's how good it is.

Hands down 5s is the best S series and 6/6 plus made it even better, so yea pretty future proof

3. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

4. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I'm gonna hold into the plus until the 6s plus comes in haha

5. Benjobox thread starter macrumors newbie

Would it be delusional to expect 5-6 years of use from, say an iPhone 6?

6. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

I would think so...

7. lordofthereef, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Depends on your expectations. I met someone who was using a Droid (original) the other day. He bought a Droid Incredible from me that had been sitting in our box of miscellany for two years.

I think you could easily get that many years of use out of the phone, so long as you don't expect it to be doing all of the things the phones current to that generation are doing. You should also expect to have to replace the battery, at least once.

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

9. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Depends on what features come with the 6s or 7 and how bad you want them. The phone will still work in 3-4 years. The OS just might feel "gimped" because you won't be able to run certain features.

10. cababah macrumors 68000

You just need to look at the iPad Air 2 in order to see where Apple is heading with the future of iOS. While the Air 1 and 5S were fairly close in spec, the Air 2 destroys the 6/6+. This has me very doubtful about the lifespan of these "new" phones.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The i6 isn't future proof at all. It is crippled by a paltry 1GB of RAM, the same as the old iPhone 5 had over two years ago!

12. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

It depends on your view of the future.
    If we enter a dystopian nightmare where electricity is scarce, the 6+ will be your best bet given the battery life and Apple's cash position.

I know people who are still happy with their 4. Texting, email, listening to music and an occasional phone call is all they need.

13. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Yup. Multitasking being the main thing.

14. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I met a guy who was using his original iPhone like it was cool when the iPhone 5 came out....the irony was that his reception in buildings was pretty bad because AT&T has slowly been taking down the EDGE/GSM network for 3G! You definitely can continue to use it for a long time.....I kept using my iPhone 4 and felt no need to upgrade until the home button got less responsive and I clicked on the iPhone section here on MR and the technology bug hit me again!

15. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Judging by my 4s which had paltry ram as well in relation to when it released you'll get about 2 years of fairly solid use and 3 if you don't mind the phone running like crap.

The ram issue really hit me a little before 2 years or so id say, mostly after ios7, I don't dare update to ios8 either.

16. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

smartphone technology moves at a rapid pace in today's age. Can a phone last 3 or 4 or even 5 years, sure. For me 2 years max is about how far I go with a phone.

17. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

My 4s is still chugging. I've only had it 2 years not 3 but I could probably make it last another year if necessary. I think 6 years would be pushing it though because I highly doubt the battery would last that long. If you want the 5s you should not upgrade the OS I think. The 6 at this point is probably the better option.

18. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I have family members using 3GS from 2009 today. It does everything they want and have no reasons to upgrade whatsoever.

So, you need to assess what your requirements are, how much money you have and who pays for your phones - that determines your expected lifespan.

19. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Honestly not very future proof. Barly better then a 5S. It's just a 5S with a bigger screen. I only got it because it had band 41 for sprint which my iPhone 5 did not.

20. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

The reality is about one year until the next update

21. hers macrumors newbie

Not really I see plenty people with iPhone 4 that's 2010. My sister in law still has the iPhone 3g I guess it depends if your happy to just keep it working how it does now or want to play the latest games etc.

22. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Much depends on what you want on a phone. I do not think 3 years would be a problem and I know people who are using 6 and 7 year old iPhones. The problem is, in time, it will slow down with more complicated apps and some it may not be able to use at all.

The RAM might become a problem but not to the point you phone will not work in the next 3 or so years. I highly suggest you get the 6. To me the 6 is what the 5 should have been.

23. Mildredop macrumors 68020

If you don't update the OS, definitely.

24. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

Five years from now someone rummaging through a junk box at Goodwill will pull out an old bent 6+ and say "How did we ever put up with this postage stamp back then?".

25. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

I don't care - I upgrade yearly, I also have done since owning a mobile phone. I love the latest and best even if I have to pay a premium.