How FW3.0 Push notifications and reminders work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macblogsk, May 23, 2009.

1. macblogsk macrumors newbie

I came across this NotifyMe personal reminder iPhone app. It shows some interesting Apple Push capabilities for Devs. Not only big media servers like ESPN can use it after all? The only problem is that all your reminders have to be stored on the server.

[​IMG]

2. sd2009 macrumors 6502

It's ridiculous that they need to do all of this. I sent feedback to Apple suggesting a local notification database which all apps can write to. If they're not insane they'll implement something like this.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Local to where?

4. infamousD macrumors newbie

MMS wasn't available either, for frickin 2 years. I doubt Apple will implement a local notification database. Apple does not take suggestions. Instead, Steve Jobs comes on a stage and promotes those suggestions 2 years later and advertises them as cool new Apple inventions. I totally agree with you though.

5. matttye macrumors 601

It's odd that apple claims background tasks will have such a negative effect on battery life. On my 5800 I listen to music/radio, play with the maps, browse the web and text/talk on the phone. After a 3 and a half hour trip to London doing all of the following I still had full bars of battery :D

6. infamousD macrumors newbie

AFAIK it's a prevention. You can't be sure which App takes how much of your battery. Apple can't risk that some kid launches Need for Speed as a background app and says "hey this iPhone is wrecked, it dies in 2 hours". I wonder how many discussions and problems would Background Apps cause to those 100 million of iPhone users, who do not understand technology that much.