Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I use wifi often but still used 44 GBs last month. I have unlimited.

How much you use? How do the 2GB users get by?

P.S. I'm using iPhone 6S model space gray.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I think the most I've ever used in a month is about 2GB. I'm on wifi like 95% of the time. When I'm out and about and not on wifi, I'm not going to be streaming Netfix or anything, I may just check my email, Facebook, or use Google Maps for directions. It's not even like I try to avoid using data. I use it freely when not on wifi.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
3-4 GB per month but I restrict myself and it's a little annoying. I share 12GB, I'm one in a family of four. It's not so bad because it's summer and I'm home more (I have like no life and I'm 16. At least I'm not drugging it up and such) and on Wi-Fi but yeah. We will likely be switching to the new 16GB Verizon Plan, we need more data and needed to upgrade to 18GB before the new plans which was $20 anyway. Getting 4 more gigs which will be perfect as well as carryover and no overages (unless we specifically buy more) for only $10/mo will be perfect for us.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
1GB or less.
No app updates, no streaming audio or video of any kind. I save that for wifi or download for offline use.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I pay for 10GB, use between 6-9GB and don't stream music or videos. 100% WiFi at home, 95% Celullar at work because our WiFI sucks.

Reactions: Hieveryone

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
The four of us burn through almost all of our 60GB share plan every month. We don't have cable tv, so our data plan is our entertainment source, supplemented by Netflix DVDs.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I wonder what do you guys actually do on your phones to use up that much data?!

I pay for 12GB but I've never managed to use up over 6GB even if I actually tried to.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
mostly 0,7 GB (I got 5 GB data on LTE/4G each month for around $12)
[doublepost=1468451414][/doublepost]but I got wi-fi at work so it gets used quite a lot

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I wonder what do you guys actually do on your phones to use up that much data?!

I pay for 12GB but I've never managed to use up over 6GB even if I actually tried to.

I use YouTube as my full time music player streaming video at 720p almost all day. I wish I could do 1080p but it gets stuck.
[doublepost=1468453845][/doublepost]
I use 25 - 35 GB per month across my mobile devices. My MSVP gives me 40 GB per month.

What is an MSVP?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
We have att unlimited internet (throttled at 22gb at times I guess).

We been using 20-30gb total.

We have unlimited bright house cable internet at home. It's just my wife hates to turn on wifi cause bright house (and att hotspots around town...Orlando area) are annoying to her cause the wifi automatically connects to even weak signals.

I have fast wifi internet at hospital where I work.

We also have Verizon unlimited internet as well that my son blows throw 20-40gb of data.

Honesty. Carriers know families need at least 20gb of data each month

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I use YouTube as my full time music player streaming video at 720p almost all day. I wish I could do 1080p but it gets stuck.

Doesn't the audio quality bother you? I only ask because last time I actually tried to listen to music on YouTube, the audio was noticeably worse than Google Music or iTunes.

For the record I typically use 2-4GB. This month I've barely used 1GB, but earlier this year I used 9GB. I use wifi at home and work.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The four of us burn through almost all of our 60GB share plan every month. We don't have cable tv, so our data plan is our entertainment source, supplemented by Netflix DVDs.

Do you not have broadband internet/wifi either?

Not criticizing, I'm seriously asking. Where I live at least unlimited broadband is both faster and much cheaper than mobile data.

Reactions: akash.nu

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Do you not have broadband internet/wifi either?

Not criticizing, I'm seriously asking. Where I live at least unlimited broadband is both faster and much cheaper than mobile data.

We had Time Warner cable internet for years... it was intermittent, slow, and throttled every night like clockwork. Switching to AT&T LTE for everything was a huge improvement in reliability and speed. I get 50mbps download any time of day, and all the way up to my data cap.

People pay for home internet, cable/satellite tv, and then phone plans on top of that... and they act like 'I only pay blahblahblah per month for 2GB data on my phone, and I never go over!!' Like their home wifi is free or something!
Uh no, dude, you're paying for it one way or another.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Doesn't the audio quality bother you? I only ask because last time I actually tried to listen to music on YouTube, the audio was noticeably worse than Google Music or iTunes.

For the record I typically use 2-4GB. This month I've barely used 1GB, but earlier this year I used 9GB. I use wifi at home and work.

Really? Idk. Sounds fine to me. But can please explain why would it be worse? It's running at 720p...

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
We had Time Warner cable internet for years... it was intermittent, slow, and throttled every night like clockwork. Switching to AT&T LTE for everything was a huge improvement in reliability and speed. I get 50mbps download any time of day, and all the way up to my data cap.

People pay for home internet, cable/satellite tv, and then phone plans on top of that... and they act like 'I only pay blahblahblah per month for 2GB data on my phone, and I never go over!!' Like their home wifi is free or something!
Uh no, dude, you're paying for it one way or another.

Between the above two above posts I'm assuming that you have a different plan than what AT&T has advertised on their website right? Because according to: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html that would be at least $375 per month in data. I'm not sure how much Time Warner internet costs, but I would assume it's not that much.

As far as your comment of "I only pay blahblahblah per month for 2GB data on my phone, and I never go over!!", it's much cheaper for me to have home internet and a phone data plan for when I'm not at home. My phone wouldn't be able to provide enough data for streaming netflix, amazon prime video and hulu at a reasonable cost. I would guess I probably use 200GB+ per month on my home internet with this usage.

My data usage varies so much per month on my iPhone but it's anywhere from 2GB to 4GB, but some months can be up to 15GB depending on how much I travel. I generally don't stream any video on my iPhone unless I am using wifi or traveling.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Really? Idk. Sounds fine to me. But can please explain why would it be worse? It's running at 720p...

720p is the video resolution, but YouTube compresses everything so you lose quality with that. Last time I checked, 720p and 1080p video had about 128kbps audio. Apple Music streams 256kbps AAC audio and Google streams 320kbps MP3 audio.

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.