How generous is Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by modit, Aug 24, 2010.

1. modit macrumors 6502

I'm planning on buying a MacBook Pro and iPod for university this fall from an Apple store in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). My iPhone 3G's screen is broken and the fix is around $200.

What the chance that the people at the Apple store will help me out at no cost? Should I ask for a fix before or after?

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No chance. They don't need to offer incentives to sell a MacBook Pro

3. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

4. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

Before anyone smacks anyone, how come some people (eg crying girl) luck out? I know they don't need incentive to sell products but since I have my screen replacement from Amazon (for $23) sitting on my table, I thought I might give it a try before voiding my warrenty before October.

YMMV right?

Example

5. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Try just walking in there naked and see how that turns out. It's your best bet imo.

6. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

How about stop trolling my thread?

Anyways...bere's another person's experience.

7. ivan300 macrumors member

Just replace the screen, I just did it a week ago the first time. Took me a hour.
    I grabbed a 16$ kit of ebay and it works great!

8. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I have a couple of questions. If you already knew those 2 stories why even bother creating this thread anyways? Or did you post first before searching? You know that will get you flamed here

Secondly, I don't see how the purchases could change anything unless you were buying at that moment ("But I'm going to be buying a macbook pro next month!") and I know that I wouldn't be able to wait to fix my iphone. I would need it fixed asap.

I say just use ur screen replacement. it's why you bought it anyway right?

But if you feel like waiting till your purchase to try to get a free replacement be my guest. The worst that can happen is they say no

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

OP - Apple usually responds well to those who are A) Honest and B) Not trying to gain anything out of the situation. Additionally, the 4 just came out and is a fairly popular product. They're more likely to give some leniency here, like when thy upgraded me to SL for free when all I wanted to do was borrow an external DVD drive for them, simply because I needed SL to use with the 4. I don't think they'll necessarily be swayed by the "I'm buying a computer from you" angle, but give it a shot.

10. dockingbay94 macrumors regular

dockingbay94

The display is really easy to replace. You'll be fine.

11. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

I love how people say there is no chance.

I can not count the amount of times the people at apple have taken care of me.

My boy dropped his iPhone 4 and cracked the back. He had it that way until I convinced him to call apple and the person at applecare immediately OK'd the repair.

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In neither of those anecdotal stories does someone go in and try and use the fact that they are buying a new Apple product to try and gain leverage for a free repair on another (which your initial post made it sound like you intended doing).

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You can't get something you don't ask for. It's worth a shot.

I dropped my brand new iPhone 4 on asphalt from about 7 feet in the air two days after I got it. The edge of the antenna band had a gash in it, and I went to the Apple store hoping they could help me out (not expecting them to though.) I told them exactly what happened and that it was my fault and clearly not a warranty issue. They replaced my phone right there with a brand new one. I now have it in a case. :)

14. shehan macrumors newbie

Free iPod

Here's what I would do. They're running a deal where you get a free 8gb ipod touch with purchase of a computer for school (its over Sept. 7th I think). The "free" ipod is really just a $200 rebate - I used it to get $200 off a monitor in store. Go into the store before the offer expires and try and use that rebate for the free repair.

Besides in another couple weeks when apple releases the new ipods the 8gb touch will be worth nothing, so its not like its a huge waste and you have an iphone anyway.

15. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

Should I try again?

So I called AppleCare and told my situation being honest. After being on hold, my call went to a senior Apple advisor who gave me a case number & contact info and said my problem is that I need "insurance not warranty" and I need to find money (~$259) from car insurance or a credit card company. I'm a broke student so would I have ANY insurance besides my education?

I'm going to call in during a time he is off his shift and work my way up without that case number. My warrenty is still good for a month but I hope my serial number isn't flagged or something like that.

Any thoughts? Please help me out guys and gals!

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That case number is logged against the serial number of the device. Anyone you call will bring up the history of the device, read that and you're back where you started.

17. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

So should I into an Apple store instead or try to ask for another senior advisor or another supervisor tier? I'm I stuck? :(

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The Apple Store have access to the same database. I had 3 replacement batteries on a single MBP. The last time I went in with it they scanned the barcode and the Genius commented on the number of battery replacements.

19. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I would have went in the store in the first place. It's a lot harder to tell someone "no" to their face than over the phone. I had my 3g replaced three times for minor issues and I went in the store and talked to the genius like a I would a friend and had a great outcome each time. Don't play dumb but, don't act like a know-it-all either. I also replaced the screen on a 3g and it wasn't difficult. I definitely wouldn't pay Apple $200 for a screen replacement. Local shops are fixing screens for under $100 now.

20. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright...I'll make a genius appointment and plead my case at the store by not expecting anything and hope for the best.

If anyone has more constructive advice, please chime in. Much thanks! :)