How Glossy is the new MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivinho, Nov 26, 2008.

1. ivinho macrumors member

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Glossier.

More like a mirror.

3. ivinho thread starter macrumors member

So i would have a hard time watching a movie like say... Dark Knight? Or designing something with a lot of dark colors?

4. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

It depends on the environment in which you're in.

If you are in a regularly lit room, it should be 100% fine: you won't even be able to tell that it's glossy except from the amazing colors.

If you're in a super well light room, like with fluorescent lights and everything, you might notice glare (if those lights are behind you).

5. deriko100 macrumors 6502

in my house I barely notice the glass, not sure about outside.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It is perfectly fine in a regular lit room. The display is very bright and that mitigates the reflections well. The new MBP has very good dark colors and blacks are definitely black. I think the display is very good - as good as you can get with it being glossy and it seems we just don't have a choice now, do we??:)

Now this is the MBP NOT the MB. The MB is a different story.

7. ivinho thread starter macrumors member

just curious...whats the difference in the MB vs the MBP?

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

The MB display doesn't have the quality of the MBP by any stretch of the imagination. Blacks aren't (at least uniform,) uneven backlighting, poor horiz. viewing angles. It's been posted about ad nauseam here. Do a MRoogle search.

9. ivinho thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info. I will be using the MBP primarily for design and I'm concerned that I will see my reflection constantly.

10. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Oh it's glossy alright....:rolleyes:

11. six.four macrumors 6502

I normally prefer glossy screens over matte screens. I recently was deciding between the new unibody or a Classic MBP, and went for the latter largely because the glass is just TOO reflective.

I really wanted to like the glass screen, as it would have made my decision much easier, but after playing around with it at the apple store for 20 minutes, I could see myself being extremely distracted from the reflection.
    The apple store was fairly well lit. I could completely see my reflection if the brightness wasn't at around 70% or above. They also happen to have a 17" glossy MBP from the previous generation across from it and it wasn't nearly as problematic as the glass screens.

I think it all comes down to your tolerance for the reflections. If you're someone that doesn't mind it - you'll appreciate the high contrast and gorgeous screen. If you're not sure, go to the apple store and check it out and see if it'll work for you.

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Unfortunately, the Apple stores are so over lit, it's hard to judge the screens accurately. I hated the MBP screen in the store as I did the MB. Got it home and in my typical use, it's surprisingly not so bad. Really. The reflections can be there but not nearly as bad as I thought they would be.

The glass front does kinda makes you yearn for the old glossy though...

13. bebetc macrumors member

bebetc

So glossy I can almost do my makeup there !!! :D

14. six.four macrumors 6502

I definitely took that into consideration. I looked around while I was there and evaluated if the lighting was something I would consider brighter than your average room. It wasn't. In fact, the lights behind me, which were the ones reflected, were actually fairly dim (the main lights being overhead) - nothing compared to the sunlight from outside.

And again, it's all up to your personal tolerance to the reflectiveness. For me, it was just too much - but for others, it might be perfect - this coming from someone who normally prefers the glossy to the matte.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I use mine in a regularly lit office and I don't notice the reflections.

16. Neil1138 macrumors regular

17. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

Yes. Do a search here for "glossy" in this forum and you'll see links to professional reviews online where they comment on the glassy screen. It was a deal-killer for me.

18. workerbee macrumors member

You will.
    Especially if you use Aperture, for example, or Adobe's Lightroom, where the UI is predominantly dark or black.

That's why it's called MacBook Pro: Professional photographers and graphic artists just love to see their reflection around their work, or in their work if it's a dark image. At least, apparently there's one dude in Cupertino who does.

19. forth-man macrumors newbie

I dont have any problems with the glossiness of the screen - mainly use my laptop indoors on well lit rooms

20. kis macrumors 65816

For design? forget about it. I've been trying to like the screen for weeks now but it's just unusable for design, photo editing, video editing etc.
    No matter what Apple calls it - the new MBPs aren't professional-grade computers.

I'm about to sell mine.

21. toxic macrumors 68000

you'll see reflections unless the room is dimly lit. Brightness doesn't do much to overpower reflections where the screen is black...but whether it'll give you a "hard time" or not depends on your personal tastes and tolerances.

22. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

23. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

24. ivinho thread starter macrumors member

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or just get an external monitor? Which you should be doing anyways for professional working such as design and photography. I don't really see how people can work on their 14-bit RAW files when the screen is only 6-bit.