How GLOSSY the retina MBP really is?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freida, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hello guys,

anyone has got the new retina mbp or at least seen one to tell us how glossy it is, please? Apple said its 3/4 less glossy than the other ones but I find it hard to believe when looking at some videos.
    So, anyone knows from personal experience?

Thank you

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It just came out late yesterday. No one aside from reviewers has gotten their hands on it.

At the very least it will have less glare then the MBP glossy screen based on remarks made in the keynote

3. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought they were already in stores as in the keynote he said that it ships today. Or have I misunderstood?

4. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

AnandTech said it was an improvement but not perfect. But all he had to compare it to was a matte model.

5. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

so,

those who have it can you please let us know what is the gloss situation on them?

Thank you :)

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Several reviews that I've read say that it's similar to the glossy screen on the Macbook Air. Definitely glossy, but with less reflection because of the lack of a second layer of glass.

7. jediDev macrumors regular

I've seen it in the store and that's a pretty good description. Definitely less than glossy MBP and a little bit better than the MBA. Also, I think the screen is brighter than most of the 1440x900 screens (but probably as bright as the high-res screen) and brightness can overcome some reflections.

8. danetello macrumors 6502

i think it is glossy but not too glossy. kind of in between antiglare MBP and regular

9. Doc69 macrumors 6502

Anti-glare RIP

I played around with it today. Even though the new retina display may have 75% less glare than the regular glossy MBP, it's still VERY MUCH a glossy display. And for a matte fan like myself, it's still a deal breaker.

I'm extremely saddened to see that it's probably just a matter of time before Apple phases out the anti-glare option for the MBP as well. I assume the new design will be standard when the MBP is updated the next time. Then there will be NO matte displays available anywhere in Apple's lineup. Everything will be glossy. Cinema Displays, iMacs, MacBooks, iPhones and iPads.

Wow. What the hell happened. How could such a superior technology get killed like that? For someone like me, who spends my whole day in front of a computer screen in a brightly lit room, glossy is just not an option.

10. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

11. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to use the AG film designed for regular 15" MBPs and then trimming down to size for the RMBP?

RMBP:
    Width: 14.13 inches (35.89 cm)
    Depth: 9.73 inches (24.71 cm)

Regular 15" MBP:
    Width: 14.35 inches (36.4 cm)
    Depth: 9.82 inches (24.9 cm)

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Saw it today. It's gorgeous. Yes, it's glossy, but noticeably less glossy that older MBPs. This was under the bright lights at the Apple Store. It didn't bother me at all. Huge improvement over my current glossy 15". But if you are a stickler for matte then stay with the non-Retina version while you can.

13. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Pretty much Me Too on this. Everyone said "oh, it's so much better".

No, it's not, because that is not how eyes work. Something that's only 25% as bright doesn't go from headache-inducing to unnoticeable; it goes from headache-inducing to still headache-inducing, because you can still see it.

The problem isn't amount-of-light. It's that the light preserves the clear shapes and outlines of the things it's reflecting.

14. thetechteen macrumors member

In my opinion it's right between the glossy and matte screens we're used to seeing on the MBPs. Not too bad at all. That said, I haven't seen the retina MBP outside in direct sunlight.. That's the ultimate test (and also where I work most!! :D).