Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfgiants320

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
I know no one's actually been able to use an iPhone 6 case yet, but based on the leather cases Apple's come out with for previous iPhones (e.g. the 5 and 5s), how high quality are Apple's cases? I was thinking of shelling out $45 for the Product (RED) Apple leather case for the iPhone 6 (4.7"), but wanted to make sure it's good quality — the leather doesn't fade severely, it's protective, fits well, is easy to take on and off, etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated. If you don't think Apple's cases are that good, what would you recommend I buy?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
They're ok. Fit good, overpriced, but very thin leather, minimalistic. I ordered one. Wanted leather, thin as possible, best fitting, and I have more money than sense. $50.

machinestatic

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
The only factual answer is that taste is subjective, and the only way you'll know if you like Apple's cases is to try one.

Now with that out of the way, I'll give you my real answer. :) I've had the iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, and soon to be the 6. And like many folks I've done a lot of case hunting: Speck, Incase, Incipio, iFrogz, Case-Mate, Belkin, Griffin... and for me personally, the shopping around all stopped once I got an Apple leather case. It fits perfectly, any scuffs or smudges can be wiped off with literally just my finger, and as it ages it actually feels nicer to hold, which is the opposite of all of the plastic and silicone crap I've owned over the years. I made sure to order an iPhone 6 leather case with my phone this morning.

But again, that's all just my opinion. You could get one and hate it!

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I've seen many red cases 5s cases that have turned black around the edges and the whole case really discolors and looses the bright red color. It becomes more of a burgundy, which I would be fine with if the edges wouldn't have become black.

I personally have the black leather case for my iPhone 5s. I have had it for about 6-8 months now. By far my favorite iPhone 5s case so it was a no brainer to reorder it for the 6 Plus.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I'm interested in this as well. How good were the 5S leather cases?

Fits perfect, Overpriced, FADES like there's not tomorrow. if you can get over th fact that it will fade as soon as you put it on LOL, then ur good.

other than than its a good case but I wouldn't recommend it for its price.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Depends on what you need or want. They look fairly nice (most of the time), but they offer zero drop protection and just offer scratch protection at an absurd price.

I never cared for them mostly because the Apple cases hide the design of the phone when the majority of the cases I like are clear, transparent, or bumper-style.

If you want a case that has minimal drop protection with scratch prevention with a grip, Spigen makes thin, high-quality, and minimalistic sheaths for a low price.

Unless you really want something Apple-produced, I'd skip out the Apple cases unless you really want to have a little casing over it as opposed to something that could actually protect it from major damage. There are some "bumper" cases that off some shock absorption that Apple cases do not have.

TL;DR version: They're okay, but you can get better minimalist options that are a little sleeker for about the same price or less.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
^Zero drop protection? Please don't speak out of your ass here. I've had it on my 5S since launch and have had at least 10 worrisome drops and not a single scratch, scrape, crack or dent in my phone.

It's by far the best case I've ever owned and I used to drop hundreds on cases per phone looking for the best. I get black and it feels even better with age and still looks great.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
The leather Apple cases are very well made, hold up well, and are stylish in a minimalist sort of way. Actual shock/drop protection is fair, but there are waaaay more protective cases available. It's a question of style vs protection.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
If you get an Apple case, get the black one. The leather ages like a baseball glove and develops an "aged" look, which personally I don't find appealing. My tan case was beautiful when new, but after a while I didn't want to use it anymore because of the discoloration which isn't nearly as visible on the black ones. As for drop protection, I found it to be pretty great. Had a few good drops on the pavement and the phone was intact. The case fit perfectly and keeps the back of the phone scratch free because it's nice and soft inside. However, the 5S case covered the bottom, which these new iPhone 6 cases don't. I ordered a $10 crystal clear thin plastic case from Amazon and received it today, it's exactly what I want.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I've seen many red cases 5s cases that have turned black around the edges and the whole case really discolors and looses the bright red color. It becomes more of a burgundy, which I would be fine with if the edges wouldn't have become black.

I personally have the black leather case for my iPhone 5s. I have had it for about 6-8 months now. By far my favorite iPhone 5s case so it was a no brainer to reorder it for the 6 Plus.

Confirm red one does this.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I'm interested in this as well. How good were the 5S leather cases?

OMG! I bought the Apple Red Leather case. It was easy to put on, but to remove it was a pain. I returned it. The Apple rep said it would take a few on and off's to stretch the leather. I don't have time to do this and they gave me a refund. Also, with the case on, I wasn't impressed. It was a very simple leather case.

I got the Gold Mophie Battery Case. It's bulky, but love the aesthetics of it with the Gold 5S.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Confirm red one does this.

I'm not sure if you are asking me to confirm this or are saying that this is true, however if its the later, the following image is property of mr99 (user here on MR). (Original post here, moved image from Marketplace so all can see it)

attachment.php

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
Forget about getting a case for the 6 Plus. You might as well carry around your Ipad Mini.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I'm not sure if you are asking me to confirm this or are saying that this is true, however if its the later, the following image is property of mr99 (user here on MR). (Original post here, moved image from Marketplace so all can see it)

Sorry. MIL has one. It's just as you describe. Funny I didn't think of you reading my reply that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.