How good are MBPs for video editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bchreng, Oct 18, 2012.

1. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

My current system is getting a little long in the tooth and I was thinking of upgrading soon, possibly to a 13" rMBP. How good are MBPs when it comes to video editing? I'm not doing anything too fancy. Just 5-10 minute 1080p videos for youtube. I probably won't need anything more complex than iMovie. Do they become really hot and throttle when rendering the video? I'm sure a Mac Mini and iMac could also do the job, but I really like having the mobility of a notebook. Thanks in advance!

2. Jaykee macrumors member

For your needs, it should do you well, performance shouldn't be the drawback. My MBP 15" gets hot when under load, but using smcFanControl sorts that out, instead of peaking at about 75*c, it gets to about 65*c under load, these temperatures are very bare-able. But I have the i7 version, so if you were to get the i5, I couldn't tell you, but I'm very sure that for your needs it would impress you.

3. MrMacMini macrumors regular

For what you need you'll have not problem. I have a late 2011 MBP and use it for heavy editing with Final Cut Pro, and rarely does it have issues rendering big projects. It does warm up a bit but has no problem handling heavy work loads.

Youll be ok.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You'll be fine, as long as you're not adding fancy 3rd party effects.