How good are refurbished Apples?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnsy, Apr 26, 2008.

1. johnsy macrumors 6502

It seems the only difference of refurbished vs new is the fact that it was refurbished, lower price and might be not the best selection. I am talking about refurbished computers from Apple store. Can you buy refurbished computer from Apple and Apple care from let's say Amazon?

Is it wort it? Can you tell the difference that it was refurbished- longevity vise and cosmetically speaking (as I understand it comes with everything as new computer)?

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Apple refurbished = good. You can buy your Applecare from Amazon, ebay, whatever is cheapest, its all good.

3. Smurfed macrumors regular

The only difference is the box it comes in, basically.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

General consensus is that refurbished products go through a more rigorous QA process than those fresh from the assembly line.
    My MBP is a refurb, and it's fantastic. My new AEBS was also bought refurbished, it arrives Monday.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

refurbs are refurbs, apple refurbs are refurbs as well. I don't see any difference between apple refurbs and hp refurbs. Mostly they are ok, bad luck they are not, they all come with same warranty.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've bought several Apple refurbs over the years and all have been as good as new. One had extra RAM in it. Buy with no worries.

7. tennez macrumors regular

I bought one and it looked brand new...but it didn't have the original case...no big deal!

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Very good...I've yet to buy one, but I'm looking at them for my next Mac.

Although, I do love that new Mac smell, but thats me being shallow

9. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope it doesn't come loose in some peanuts or worse sandwiched between some air bags! How about OS disk, charger? And is it confirmed- you can buy Apple care from Amazon or other place for refurbished?

10. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

It comes in a brown cardboard box with an Apple logo, but its not the slick white box with the little plastic handle that you see coming out of the Apple stores. The refurb box has custom-sized foam blocks that securely hold the MB or MBP in place. Well packaged for shipping. And you get all the stuff you would normally get including charger with the extended power cable, two disks and booklet in a sleeve, polishing cloth, etc. Also, not that it matters, but the serial numbers are different for refurbs than new. You can buy an extended AppleCare for a refurb just like a new one (check Amazon.com for good deals).

I disagree with clevin about Apple refurbs being just like HP, etc. Other than the box and the serial number, I couldn't tell my refurb blackbook from a new one. They really are that good. Mine also came with an extra GB of RAM, but that seems to be hit-or-miss.