How good are the Apple Cinema Display ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fredsarran, Jun 18, 2008.

1. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Everything is in the title :) I am looking at the 23 inch.

2. disdat macrumors regular

disdat

Ha! You read my mind. I am wondering if I should purchase one also. I am looking at the refurb prices.

3. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Hi,

Yea, I am wondering how good they are because they seem not to expensive compared to other "pro" monitors. The Dell 2408 seems also good but it is all in plastic.

4. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

there really nice monitors but very pricey wait for a price drop and isight

5. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Aaaaah thanks for reminding me. There is no iSight (I have been used to an iMac). I wonder if Apple is going to update there display's.

6. Hmac macrumors 68020

Such an update has been predicted at every single Apple media event for at least the last two years, with ever-increasing anger displayed here on MacRumors after each failure-to-announce. It's apparent that sales of the current models are sufficient to meet Apple's financial goals for the product. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an update. They're expensive, are certainly going to continue to be expensive, and built-in iSight is far from a foregone conclusion. IMHO the most dramatic update you're likely to see is LED backlighting.

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The real difference is in the type of panel. Other displays use different panels, the ACD uses a S-IPS panel, which is very color accurate without much color shift. I'd wait for the ACDs to get the H-IPS panel which is even newer (this is in the 24" iMacs).

8. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

So how do I do for the iSight camera ? They do not sell them anymore in the UK. And the integrated microphone ? And the IR receiver for the front row remote control ?

Aaaaah many things missing.

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

I think you'll see an attachable separate iSight camera/microphone introduced by Apple before you see one built into these professional-grade monitors, but I doubt that Apple would do that. Their only reason for marketing such a thing would be for Mac Pro users and it appears that video chatting by that class of user is not a priority. In the meantime, you can get an iSight camera off ebay or Amazon ($300 plus!!!), or you can use iChat with most FireWire webcams, Digital Video (DV) camcorders with FireWire, or most USB Video Class (UVC) webcams.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2020

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/index.php

10. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Cheers.

This is when you realize that the iMac is really good. It integrates everything at a very affordable price.

11. mashny macrumors regular

When I got my Mac Pro system a few months ago, I had the same question regarding monitors -- I do a lot of Photoshop work and was wondering whether to go with one of the "better" monitors, such as the Eizo CE240W. A friend of mine who works at an ad agency, and is also a freelance photographer, gave me the following advice: he said that yes, there are better monitors than the Apple Cinema Display, but are you willing to pay the price? He said that if I was really obsessed with color, the more expensive LaCie monitors would be what I should buy, but they go for about $5,000. Even the Eizo CE240W is about twice the price of the Apple monitor and, in his opinion, is not twice as good. He said he uses a 23" Apple Cinema Display and calibrates it regularly with an xRite calibrator. He says he's never had a problem.

Regarding an iSight, many companies, as well as the military, have strict rules about not allowing webcams on premises, so it is perhaps not in Apple's best interest to have built-in cams on their monitors. I have the 23" Cinema Display and got an iSight on eBay about a month ago -- I paid $190 for it. It would be nice if Apple released an updated iSight for people who have cinema displays.

12. Hmac macrumors 68020

iChat has supported UVC-class webcams as of 10.4.9

13. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

You made a good point there. I see myself as a regular user that at times do pro stuff. I would love a iMac that is expandable like the Mac Pro.

14. spmartin macrumors newbie

Wait forever for Apple?

I am in the market for a new display also. I have been waiting forever for Apple to refresh the ACD line, so I started to look around. I had heard that LG was manufacturing the ACD displays for Apple, so naturally I went to see what new displays they offered. They have a "killer" new 30" display with specs to die for. Good price. Only catch - not available in the U.S. yet. I've called them and they say it will be released very soon. Already available in U.K. and Canada. Here is a link to check it out.

http://us.lge.com/products/model/de...nitors_full line of lcd monitors_W3000H.jhtml

15. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

I've been very tempted to buy a refurb'd Cinema Display as well. The danger with waiting for a new display is that they may decide to go with the lower-end panels like they have in the smaller iMac's and Macbooks, or a glossy screen. Also, a good S-IPS screen is getting harder and harder to find. Also, based on what's available now, it's hard to imagine a significant improvement in a newer model.

I don't see any benefit to an in-screen iSight. It makes a lot of sense on the portables, because of a need for compactness. But for a desktop system, it's nicer to have a choice between different cameras, and also have the ability to adjust the angle.

Has anyone had any experiences with the refurb Cinema displays? I would think they wouldn't try to stick you with one of the pink screens.

16. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

It looks ok, I do not really like the design thought. I looked on the LG UK site and I cannot find it.

Anyway, cheers for the link. I appreciate.

17. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I was under the impression that Samsung made the Cinema Displays?

18. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you buy an Apple Cinema Display you get a DVI port. That's your lot. You can only connect one device to the monitor at a time. If you buy a similarly priced display from another manufacturer, they usually include a <u>wealth</u> of ports with HDMI, component video, VGA, S-Video, Composite video all being common on other models.

If you buy the Cinema Display you also have to put up with an exceptionally ugly and clunky power brick, whereas most other monitor manufacturers integrate this into the unit itself.

19. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

And my best friend told me that Samsung are way better display's than Apple Cinema Display. He also told me that the ACD are just rubbish (but hey ! he comes from the PC world).

20. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Another good point that I agree with you.

21. Hmac macrumors 68020

So that right there should negate any credibility he has on that subject.

No doubt you can get a nice monitor for less than you'd pay for an ACD, and you can likely even find a better one for less money...but to call them "just rubbish" means the guy is an idiot.

22. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

PC World rated the acd the best display in their July 2008 issue. It was number 18 out of 100 gadgets, apps and web sites. Surely that says something about it.

It may not have an iSight but its truely meant for creative professtionals who want true color with out any whaccky addons.

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Over the past two months, I have bought two 23" ACDs and I have to say that they are the best displays I have ever owned. It doesn't matter what angle I view the display at, it always looks good, even standing up and looking down at the screen. The colors are always perfect. The only display that I have that comes close is on my MBP.

I recommend the ACD display to anyone!

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You just have to get creative. I have the white brick hidden under the rear of my Mac Pro. It never shows.

Still the best monitor I have ever owned.

25. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

I can't remember where I read it but it was saying that the ACD has S-ISP and latest iMac has H-ISP that is superior.

What do you guys think about that ? True ?