How Good Are The Magnets in the Smart Cover?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ghsNick, Mar 26, 2012.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

So I just got the Smart Cover combo with the Smart Feather and I'm loving it.

I notice the magnets are pretty strong but sometimes it'll slide a little bit when I'm carrying it in my hand since the magnets seem to be at the end.

Do/Will the magnets weaken over time? It only slides a little since there aren't any magnets in the center or on the left side.

Any input/info will help...thanks.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Captain obvious here! The magnets are for electronically triggering sleep/wake. They are not intended to be weight bearing. To compound that... Magnets in general are at their weakest when applying shear forces.

3. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Um...the Smart Cover feature is supposed to "snap" it in place "Captain Obvious."

So my question was how secure are they on everybody else's iPad and do they deteriorate over time.

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

More power to them.

At least it would probably be a slow slide down and not too catastrophic, unless it flies off as your kid yanks open the door.

6. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

7. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Haha yeah, let me put my $900 gadget up on the fridge while I open and close the door making dinner. Um, no.

8. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

9. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok...and what about the other magnet...on the right side that keeps the screen closed?

I feel like it slides a little when closed...not a lot.
    But it doesn't "snap" close as good as it "snaps" shut in my opinion.

10. thelead macrumors 6502

maybe the one I bought was defective because there is NO WAY I would try that even for a second. I returned my poly version today and will be looking to buy another one tomorrow.

11. ourabmen macrumors newbie

My wife picked her new iPad up by the cover, it broken free and landed on the couch where she was sitting. I ordered her a new Maroo case that evening. Clever design, but they freak me out.