Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I wish i was as good as some people i know. Basically im in the process of sacrificing some of my prized possessions (some collectibles) cause i need to cut some of my expenses. Im basically living a life i cant afford. I have way too much money worth of electronics and collectibles in my house (a lot just sits here during the week unused) and not enough savings in my bank account.

I want to eventually buy a house and stop paying rent and its been really bothering me the past 4 months knowing how much money worth of stuff i have in my apartment and it should be money in my bank account instead for a lot of these things. Like two ipads, i dont need both an ipad air AND rmini. I really dont want to sell it but i know its not needed. So my first sacrificed posession is the rmini, im keeping the air. Posted an ad for it last week and the buyer is buying it tonight. Was really not wanting to let it go but im Forcing myself cause it has to be done. Bye rmini.:(

Next im downsizing my wardrobe, i have way too much clothing and taking some to the used clothing store.

My goal is basically to spend a lot less time in the house on weekends with my toys and more time making money. Would like to find a second weekend job and devote more free time to gaining new skills so i can become a better person.

So my question is, how good are you in making sacrifices in life? What would be your main motivation?

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Self-report is probably not going to be accurate for this question.

You mean if I wrote something like...

My life is sacrifice.

I live to serve.

I give...give....give...and never take!

And I just downsized my sock drawer!

...you would question the accuracy and sincerity of my post?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
You mean if I wrote something like...

My life is sacrifice.

I live to serve.

I give...give....give...and never take!

And I just downsized my sock drawer!

...you would question the accuracy and sincerity of my post?

You'd have to talk at length of all the sweet coffee gear you're denying yourself.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I'm good in this area. Remember by definition it's giving up something of value for something of MORE value. Remember that.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I'm just about this close to getting rid of everything and moving to an island in the Caribbean for the rest of my life. I'd cook a few hours a day to make some money, and relax the rest of the time. This whole working for a living crap and dealing with managers isn't appealing to me, at all.

1376780789_nba_a_lebron1_576.jpg

Is that enough sacrifice for you?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Realistically, it’s good to deny present self in favor of your future self. Saving for the future is never a bad thing. Set goals and work to meet them.

As a father of 6 (now grown) children and Papa to 16 grandchildren, I know a bit about 'sacrifice'. There are times, as parents, that we all make sacrifices for our family. At the same time, it’s important to make sure your family understands that sacrifices are necessary and being made without playing the "martyr" card. Having frank discussions about family finances, especially when times are tough, is important in instilling values in our kids.

I don’t mean to get all "preachy", but my father taught me at an early age to be thrifty, to save for my future ("pay yourself first" he would say), and to not squander every penny I earned on something that would not last.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I've never really been "good" at this sort of thing, but I'm getting better. I just made a similar "sacrifice" and sold my iPad as well recently. Between my MacBook Air and my iPhone, I just never used it. I couldn't justify having a $400+ piece of electronics sitting on my table, not being used. But beyond that, I have a surround sound system that is a bit overkill for my needs, I have more shoes/clothes than I really need, etc.

What I've figured out is that the more time that I spend alone, the more I start buying up needless items (to fill a void I'm sure). The more time I spend with friends, doing things out of the house, dating, sharing time with females, the less I feel the need to accumulate "stuff". I don't think that this discovery is any type of coincidence.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Have a kid. Making sacrifices becomes second nature once you have mini version of yourself to take care of.

I used to buy a specialty lenses every year and a new DSLR every 2 years. But once Mini-Mousse came along, I haven't even looked the B&H catalog I receive every year. I've got plenty of pictures of Mini-Mousse growing up. I'm waiting on the day my 20D (nearly 10 years old:eek:) dies so I can get a new camera.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Top tip is always live within your means.

Don't buy two iPads if you don't need two and can't afford them.

As a husband and father who supports his stay at home wife and daughter with special needs, I know a lot about of sacrifice. That said by earning extra (when I could) and some big sacrifices along the way, we were able to pay off our mortgage when I was still in my early 30's.
That means I now have some left over money for some toys (see signature).

Just always spend less than you earn, whatever you earn.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Surely you know the difference between rent payments and mortgage payments?

Of course I do. One is paying for the use of a property. The other is paying toward ownership, with a large chunk added to service the debt. Both are money out of pocket. Sometimes renting makes more sense than buying.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Of course I do. One is paying for the use of a property. The other is paying toward ownership, with a large chunk added to service the debt. Both are money out of pocket. Sometimes renting makes more sense than buying.

Excellent!

So perhaps you can understand from where some of her desire not to pay rent may be coming.

r i c h

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
California

Sometimes is the key word here. In the OP's case it's possible that purchasing a home makes more sense than renting; in your case it probably does not.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You'd have to talk at length of all the sweet coffee gear you're denying yourself.

Very good; I am chuckling quietly……

To the OP: I am not sure that the title of the thread conveys what I think the thread is all about; it is not so much about 'sacrifice' (what a deeply disturbing word, actually, it is one that raises my hackles) but about 'prioritising' choices and determining, as a result of the selected priorities, what monies (and time) can be afforded in a given context.

Therefore, I don't see the question in terms of 'sacrifice' as much in terms of what it is one decides one really needs and making informed choices (financial and otherwise) based on that. Re electronic toys (and I am as guilty here as anyone), I think the key may lie in the cultivation of concept of deferred gratification. That doesn't mean 'no electronic toys'; it may mean no electronic toys this month, and perhaps, a down payment on one next month…..that sort of thing.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I always saw it as 'one is paying somebody's else's mortgage, one is paying towards your own'

The word Mortgage, literally means death grip!

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Cut down on Starbucks, Eating out (yes, even $5-10 meals), cigarettes, alcohol, going out. It's amazing how much money you save by skipping these things. People tend to look at $5-$15 items as 'not a big deal' but generally add up to hundreds of dollars a month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.