How good/bad is this battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by indiekicks, Jan 9, 2014.

1. indiekicks macrumors member

At 3:27pm it was 100%, it's 3:47pm now and 87% now. I have wifi, location, and Bluetooth cut off but I've been listening to music and browsing the whole time.

Wow, now it jumped down from 86 to 82... Now 81. I dunno, that seems pretty crappy to me. I restored the phone a few days ago and updated to ios7 (which I actually like contrary to popular opinion lol) because the battery was acting REALLY screwy. Like down to almost 50% within 30 mins screwy. I was hoping restoring it would solve the issue but it still draining pretty fast. 76% now at 3:56 and I cut the music off 10 minutes ago.

I don't do any heavy stuff, just browsing and music. I don't even play games when I'm not at home. What gives??

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

At best it's more about what usage and standby numbers you have when you are down to below 20% of battery at least, and closer to 0% is better as far as gaging all of that. Plus, you'd want to keep on eye that over at least a few days, as one day of data doesn't necessarily mean something specific on its own.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Do you ever run your battery down to zero? I had poor battery on my iPhone 4 after about 18 months. I got the advice on here to run it down to flat at least once a month, and never had any problems once I started to do that.

4. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

iOS7 isn't great for battery life, what phone are you using? My 5s has recently started giving me poor battery life without heavy usage so I'm taking it into apple to get it checked out. I've tried resets, DFU restores, new phone setup, no apps installed, everything off and tbh mine isn't good enough, by 5pm it's hanging on to life usually under 20%. I could understand if I'd been playing games, watching loads of videos but it's pretty much all Facebook and text messaging, no music and no calls. I'm waiting for the updated iOS to be released to the public, then if it doesn't get any better I may be looking for a new phone sadly, as I've had every iPhone since the 2G.

5. indiekicks thread starter macrumors member

How good/bad is this battery life?

I have the 5. The thing is, I only updated to ios7 yesterday and my battery has been noticeably crap for a while.

Also I was at 19% then I plugged in my charger at Starbucks and it suddenly went up to 50. It's done something similar before. I set up an appointment with Apple but I don't have warranty so not sure what good it'll do. I think I'll have to get a new battery no matter what.

I've been thinking, I have a cheap eBay charger because the one I got from with the phone crapped out on me. Do you think that ruined my battery?

6. cynics macrumors G3

Too many variables. My total usage can range from 3 to 10 hours depending on what I'm doing and equally if not more importantly how good my signal strength is.

With little to no service I can watch the percentage drop very rapidly.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

So you're relying on cellular data? How's your coverage?

Browsing isn't a battery-free activity. It takes power to run the browser, radio and screen. As with any battery life discussion there are too many variables at play. Off the cuff nothing sounds abnormal to me but you have determine your own baseline for comparison. Even 2 people "just browsing for X amount of time" can have differing battery levels remaining depending on content and rendering requirements.

They can determine if your battery is faulty or rule it out for you.

Doubtful.

8. indiekicks thread starter macrumors member

Coverage is mostly LTE but there are some areas that are 3g. I turn on wifi when I'm in a place with free wifi but otherwise I turn it off to preserve battery life.

I know those things use up energy but I used to be able to browse and listen to music as I pleased all day without even bringing my charger along and usually still be over 20% when I came home.

I downloaded ibackupbot or whatever it's called and my results were:

CycleCount: 289
    DesignCapacity: 1430
    FullChargeCapacity: 1119

I think that's about 78% capacity. Don't know how bad that is, if it means I should replace the battery.