How good is a G-Tech drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KJdanReuben, Dec 14, 2007.

1. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

I've read some really great things about them and I especially like the design and silent cooling system. My dilemma is that I've found the same spec drives from competitors for $100 cheaper. I even found an Iomega 750gb drive with FW400/800 and USB 2.0 for $270. The G-Tech I'm looking at is a 500gb with FW400/800 for $270. USB doesn't really matter to me, I'd never use it. But the Iomega is $250 and the G-Tech is $270. Is it worth it to get the G-Tech? I would use it hooked via FW800 with Final Cut Express. Thanks for all the input!

2. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

The G-Tech hard drives are built very well, they look great with your mac and they work fine. I used one myself and i love it, if you have an issue with the price then dont buy it, its not the best priced hard drive but its one of the best.

3. HDproducer macrumors member

I have used g-tech drives for years and there customer service is great. I had a problem with one drive and I just mailed it in to them and they fixed it and sent it back.

I first started using them because the Apple display at NAB had them hooked up to all their laptops and some of the desk tops. And every year is seems to be the same.

4. nylock10 macrumors regular

What kind of cable do the G-Tech models use, do you have a picture?

My current external has a bulky firewire cable which is hard to bend around the back of my iMac.

5. KJdanReuben thread starter macrumors regular

No, I don't have a problem with the price. As long it's good, I'm willing to pay. That's why I've got a Mac. I just wanted to make sure they were as good as everything I've heard. I figured the G-Tech would be the one I would get, I just wanted to hear some other opinions.

6. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I am currently in the same boat. I have been trying to decide on which external to buy. I like the OWC drives, but they don't have Firewire and eSATA ports, unless i get the most expensive one. GTech was my next one i looked at, but yes the price seems steep. Then i noticed, Lacie's new external, the Glossy black drive [Link]. I really like this, but again it only comes in USB 2.0, but on the bright side its $150.00 for 500GB.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

Forgot to mention, i would like my external to able to be opened so if the drive fails, i could replace the drive myself; instead of throeing out a perfectly good case.

7. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

8. KJdanReuben thread starter macrumors regular

I looked at Seagate, but I can't find any with FW800. This is something I would really like to have. Otherwise, the FreeAgent Pro drive looks pretty good. The main things I want in an external drive are FW400 & 800, I don't really want/need USB 2.0, at least 500gb, and I want it to be whisper quiet. I also want it to look good, but that is not that big of a deal. I am also thinking that I might go with LaCie or Western Digital, but I'm not sure.

9. jameskohn macrumors 6502

I found myself in the awkward position of needing two new drives for my MacPro. I wanted a second internal drive for all my photos and video so they wouldn't fill up my main hard drive, and then I wanted an external drive for Time machine.

I bought a Seagate for the internal, and a G-Tech Quad 500GB for the external. I bought the G-tech because it had the best percentage of positive reviews and because of the ability to go eSata in the (near) future.

Long story short, the Seagate was defective and had to be exchanged. The G-Tech works fine. Small sampling, but that's one person's experience.

Best of luck to you.

10. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Never trust anything that comes from G-Tech.

I should know. I go to school there.

Oh the hard drives...

11. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

12. Tom J macrumors regular

I just received my G-Drive Mini yesterday. I love it. I'm really impressed with how it is assembled so precisely. I'd like to take it apart and see what's inside but there's a warranty sticker covering one screw.

The leather carrying case is also top quality. Even the cardboard box it came in is a work of art. The whole thing just oozes quality.

13. Tom J macrumors regular

Speaking of my G-Drive Mini, I'd like to know what the HD model number is. System Profiler doesn't reveal much. Is G-Tech overwriting the drive manufacturer (Hitachi) and model number when they test the drives?

From System Profiler:
    G-Drive mini Device 00:
    Manufacturer: G-TECH
    Model: 0x0

GUID: 0x1D202E0530296
    Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec
    Connection Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec
    Sub-units:
    G-Drive mini Device 00 Unit:
    Unit Software Version: 0x10483
    Unit Spec ID: 0x609E
    Firmware Revision: 0x100
    Product Revision Level: BB2O
    Sub-units:
    G-Drive mini Device 00 SBP-LUN:
    Capacity: 111.79 GB
    Removable Media: Yes
    BSD Name: disk2
    Mac OS 9 Drivers: Yes
    Partition Map Type: APM (Apple Partition Map)
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
    Volumes:
    G-DRIVE MINI TRIPLE:
    Capacity: 111.66 GB
    Available: 111.58 GB
    Writable: Yes
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    BSD Name: disk2s10
    Mount Point: /Volumes/G-DRIVE MINI TRIPLE

14. KJdanReuben thread starter macrumors regular