How good is AppleCare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by canes960, Jun 30, 2009.

1. canes960 macrumors 6502

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

It's a good thing to buy with Apple notebook computers. It won't cover accidental damage, but if anything goes wrong that you didn't cause, they'll fix it for free.

3. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

So its kinda like a Extended Manufacture Warrenty

4. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

That's correct. Last July, (July 2008), my hard drive crashed. Since I was still covered under AppleCare, the Apple Store Genius Bar installed an equivalent in my MacBook within about 45 minutes. It was a very good thing to have the warranty.

5. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you strongly Suggest it?

6. macaco74 macrumors regular

I wish they also offered some form of accidental insurance.

7. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, Ya belive me I do to

8. sishaw macrumors 65816

sishaw

I had two problems with my iBook and both were handled quickly and professionally under Apple Care. Both were after the first year, and wouldn't have been covered if I hadn't purchased Apple Care. I definitely recommend it.

9. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I have used apple care so many times over the years, well recommend it.

10. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

So it is a must with any MBP

11. justinhasnohops macrumors newbie

Seriously Apple Care is not worth it. Just ask someone you know about the problem or look online. Take my advice, you'll be saving yourself some money.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think AppleCare is good at all, but having said that, any laptop repair is expensive, so AC may pay itself off very easily.

13. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justin-has-no-hops, Why do you not like Apple Care. I just asked my Uncle and he said it was the best thing around

14. justinhasnohops macrumors newbie

justinhasnohops

It's just another way for apple to make money, not like they don't make enough already.

15. brentsg macrumors 68040

If your computer breaks and the extended warranty picks up the tab then it was a good deal. If not then it was a waste of money.

It's like any other extended warranty in that it's essentially a gamble.

16. mdgolom macrumors 6502

My 16 month old iMac's hard drive crashed and was replaced free. About a month later it started acting up and they replaced the drive again as well as the power supply. When they tried booting it, nothing. Instead of keeping me waiting, they replaced it with a brand new iMac with much better specs for free.

That's how good it is.

17. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Applecare is not quite at the level of Levono's service. No onsite, no accidental coverage, same high price.

However, depending on where you're located it may e your only/best option.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I see it differently. It gives you peace of mind so that if anything goes wrong after the expiry of the initial year's warranty, you are covered. Yes, it's a gamble, but it's a gamble I have no problem paying for. Having already spent quite a lot on a computer, I'd prefer to pay in advance for peace of mind and the knowledge that I have cover, than to pay for the repairs, which are likely to be expensive if anything goes wrong.

Cheers

19. boston44 macrumors 6502

For the $150 it cost me, I went for it. Two years @ $75/yr = cheap IMO for warranty on a macbook.

20. JGruber macrumors 6502

I liked Apple Care until my wife's 13 month old Macbook was sent in to replace the top part of the case due to cracking, and they refused it because of 'significant liquid damage'. Mind you the Macbook was NEVER subjected to any kind of water/liquid/moisture. It worked perfect from the day she opened it, and still continues to work perfect. To me 'significant liquid damage' would be the laptop no longer works due to corrosion.

They canceled my Apple Care and sent it back to me in worse condition then when I sent it off, like the screen pulled completely apart, and not put back together, heavy damage to the top case, to cause worse cracking.

21. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

I bought AppleCare with my MBP. I had the mother board replaced due to faulty video card, a fan replaced, the superdrive replaced and 2 batteries, all with good service and no additional money. I think in my case I won the gamble as all those things would have cost far more than AppleCare did. It's up to you to gamble or not. I know I will buy it again when I buy a new computer.

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Most people wont ever use their applecare

If I had bought applecare for every mac I've owned, then I would have paid more for applecare than the replacement cost of any one of those macs.

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

I've bought Applecare for 3 Macs, a mini, iBook, and an iMac. I've never had a problem requiring AppleCare. I've never even called Apple with a problem; I've done all my troubleshooting here or on the web. I haven't decided on Applecare yet for my new 13" mbp though. It might be worthwhile for a laptop though.

24. statik13 macrumors regular

If it covered accidental damage I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but as it is it just isn't worth the cash.

If any computer component is going to die it will do so within the first year or after the Apple Care has expired. Then again, I never buy a single extended warranty, so ymmv. ;)

25. nstrudwick macrumors newbie

I have only good experiences with it. Both of our G4 laptops have had minor issues which have needed parts replaced, twice in the US and once in the UK. My G5 quad, 30 months old, had multiple kernel panics which the Apple store tracked down to the CPU being faulty. That repair would have cost over £1000.

Like all insurance, it's a risk you take; one rule of thumb is only to insure those things you are required to insure by law (e.g. car) or which you can't easily afford to replace (e.g. house or indeed a Mac)!