How good is apple's customer service

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tigress666, Jan 4, 2011.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, so my dad has had an issue with his macbook with the isight. Apparently they've taken it apart at least twice now.

He is hoping that they just end up having to replace it. He has dreams of them having to replace it and getting them to instead replace it with an 11" MBA (with the argument that the 11" MBA costs the same as a MB).

I think he's dreaming (and being a little greedy) and the most he can hope for is a newer MB (his is last year's model. I even wonder if they would replace it with the same model).

So what are the chances he is right that he could argue them into an MBA rather than replacing it with another MB?

2. GGJstudios, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They're not going to replace a Mac unless the situation is very serious or the Mac has had a number of issues (generally 3+) that had to be fixed. They might replace it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If they did, they would replace it with the same model.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

they will just fix it ... does not seem serious enough to replace the machine

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

They have good customer service but don't expect a Mac to be fully replaced unless you have had multiple issues. Also, I wouldn't expect to get another model Mac, in your case don't expect an Air.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Lemon laws IIRC require the same problem to occur 3 times. Their customer service is good and one way or another, they are going to fix his machine. As far as getting a MBA to replace a MB, that will almost surely not happen as the MB is still in production and most warranties use identical (refurbished) product replacement. He may very well get a 2010 MB if they do replace it as they may not have any 2009s left.

Overall, service is good.

6. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Heh, I agree with you guys (and it's not my computer though it has issues too, a key fell off the keyboard and the trackpad needs replacing and the computer is only 6 months old *sigh.* Apple really is slipping with quality).

But he keeps insisting he can argue them in on one ("they're the same price! I don't see why they won't" is his view). I'm just envisioning in my head the poor apple genius who has to deal with him. At least I don't think he'll get to raising his voice or getting angry when they tell him no. But I could see having to listen to him rant if it gets to the point that they are replacing his computer and they won't give him the air. He honestly doesn't think it will be an issue at all which is why I feel he'll probably get upset when they tell him no.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

well, sorry to tell you, but they won't be swapping out his computer due to an isight issue.

I just had my early 08' MBP repaired. They replaced the keyboard (second time, although it ended up not being the keyboard), upper case, logicboard (2nd logicboard that has been replaced), the matte screen with bezel and back case (the shell i should say) and the battery.

The repair bill was $1300. In all, they have spent over $2000 repairing this machine. I don't know that i could have gotten a new one. I am sure if something else goes wrong with this machine, i could get a new one.