Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I have a brand new iPhone 5 (manufactured in Oct 2012) which has iOS 6.0 on it. How good is this version? So far, everything seems great. Very fast and fluid on my phone. Battery life seems fine. I am wondering what issues plagued this version (if any)?

I have also done some research to see if I can update to iOS 6.1.4. I have the IPSW file, but I don't think that will work, which is a complete shame. I do not want to update to iOS 7 and loose the the classic iOS 6 look (which is really much easier on the eyes)

Advice?

2mza22w.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a brand new iPhone 5 (manufactured in Oct 2012) which has iOS 6.0 on it. How good is this version? So far, everything seems great. Very fast and fluid on my phone. Battery life seems fine. I am wondering what issues plagued this version (if any)?

I have also done some research to see if I can update to iOS 6.1.4. I have the IPSW file, but I don't think that will work, which is a complete shame. I do not want to update to iOS 7 and loose the the classic iOS 6 look (which is really much easier on the eyes)

Advice?

You are extremely lucky. I had to replace my iPhone 5 last year because the battery was bulging and my new iPhone 5 came with 7.1.2.

I was very bummed because everything I used was fine on iOS 6.1 and being jailbroken I had things set up exactly as I wanted them.

iOS 7 with it's fruitcake salad color and blazing white was not what I wanted.

If there was any way I could ever get back to iOS 6 I'd jump on it. Unfortunately, Apple only allows you to restore to a version of iOS that they are signing. When they stop signing it, that's it.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
If you are going to upgrade sell it to someone who wants it. It'll go for a good amount of money , more so than if it weren't ios 6.

Then you can get another with the latest version.

But keeping it on IOS 6.0 seems fun :D

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
iOS 6.0 had a bug that could let someone completely bypass your lock screen.

How did this bug work? I'm gonna test it out.

----------

If you are going to upgrade sell it to someone who wants it. It'll go for a good amount of money , more so than if it weren't ios 6.

Then you can get another with the latest version.

But keeping it on IOS 6.0 seems fun :D

No plans to sell it. I actually want to keep it on 6 and use it for a while. I miss how this operating system looked. It looked so much better, IMO. I do not want an iPhone 5 with the latest version, as my friend's runs slower than mine with 6.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
6.0 I remmeber having a weird respring issue with slide to camera from lock screen

6.1 > 6.0 obviously but I've said it a few times I think iPhone 5 with IOS 6 is the fastest hardware/software combo experience to date

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
6.0 I remmeber having a weird respring issue with slide to camera from lock screen

6.1 > 6.0 obviously but I've said it a few times I think iPhone 5 with IOS 6 is the fastest hardware/software combo experience to date

No issues with the camera re-springing on the lock screen.

So there is no way to put 6.1.4 on it. Why doesn't Apple allow this? ioS 6 seems to work way better than 7 or 8 (and looks better).

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Because they like to "move forward" and minimize fragmentation. It's easier for devs too if everyone's on the same version. Legacy support stinks for them.

I'd say if you want IOS 8 try 6/6+ first where you have no choice.

If I still had an iPhone 5 on iOS 6 it would remain so.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Because they like to "move forward" and minimize fragmentation. It's easier for devs too if everyone's on the same version. Legacy support stinks for them.

So developers don't want me on iOS 6? But my argument would be that if works better.

Anyway, I just wish I could update the software manually somehow. What about jailbreaking? Was there even a jailbreak for version 6.0?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Evad3rs yeah!

It's not a matter of argument it's market share of IOS. Most people are on iOS 7/8 at this point.

Some apps need IOS 7 up like tinder lol

It doesn't make sense to spend tons of time on a small share of iPhone users to not upset them. That's why lots of App Store apps will say last version supported is blah blah.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Evad3rs yeah!

It's not a matter of argument it's market share of IOS. Most people are on iOS 7/8 at this point.

Some apps need IOS 7 up like tinder lol

It doesn't make sense to spend tons of time on a small share of iPhone users to not upset them. That's why lots of App Store apps will say last version supported is blah blah.

I'd still stay on it though :D

I plan to stay on it. The only app that I somewhat used, which requires 7.1 is the my AT&T app. For some reason it won't prompt an older version for me to download. Strange. The Apple store app does that too. Everything else gives me the option to download the last compatible version for iOS 6.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So developers don't want me on iOS 6? But my argument would be that if works better.
It's not the devs, it's Apple. The devs do what Apple says if they want to continue to sell in the app store. Apple says "forward" only.

A big part of the reason why Apple does not allow downgrading and forces upgrading on a restore is to counter jailbreaking. Apple hates jailbreaking, even though it's legal. If users could downgrade to a version of iOS that was jailbreakable that would defeat Apple's plans to prevent jailbreaking.
Anyway, I just wish I could update the software manually somehow. What about jailbreaking? Was there even a jailbreak for version 6.0?
Of course there was a jailbreak for iOS 6. February 2013. evasi0n.com. The Evad3rs.

That was the jailbreak I used for well over a year for 6.1.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It's not the devs, it's Apple. The devs do what Apple says if they want to continue to sell in the app store. Apple says "forward" only.

A big part of the reason why Apple does not allow downgrading and forces upgrading on a restore is to counter jailbreaking. Apple hates jailbreaking, even though it's legal. If users could downgrade to a version of iOS that was jailbreakable that would defeat Apple's plans to prevent jailbreaking.

Of course there was a jailbreak for iOS 6. February 2013. evasi0n.com. The Evad3rs.

That was the jailbreak I used for well over a year for 6.1.

Yeah they detest jail breaking as revealed by the wording of a knowledge base article about it. even though they borrow features from Jb devs and incorporate it natively in later iterations.

It would be real interesting to see the IOS version breakdown if apple let people downgrade. People ask if it's possible nearly every day and multiple times on forums/reddit

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
iOS 6.0 is faster, more stable and has a far better UI than anything 7+. And App Store usually will allow to install a last compatible app version.

I still remember how my old 3GS went from laggy to smooth with 6.0 just after 5.1.1.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yeah they detest jail breaking as revealed by the wording of a knowledge base article about it.

Yep, they even call it "unauthorized modification". Is that a lie? I believe that it's legal to jailbreak in the US now, so you have authorisation by law.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yep, they even call it "unauthorized modification". Is that a lie? I believe that it's legal to jailbreak in the US now, so you have authorisation by law.
Technically, it's not a lie. But it's in relation to the warranty agreement you sign, not the law.

That's why they deny warranty (or can) if they find your device is jailbroken.

But, yeah, no one can arrest you or charge you with a crime over it.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
FWIW, I actually like the features iOS 7 has to offer, such as control center and Touch ID. I just can't stand how it looks. I was always drawn to iOS for its amazing textures and design. I loved how fluid it felt. What happened? Was everybody complaining version 6.0 was stale looking?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
FWIW, I actually like the features iOS 7 has to offer, such as control center and Touch ID. I just can't stand how it looks. I was always drawn to iOS for its amazing textures and design. I loved how fluid it felt. What happened? Was everybody complaining version 6.0 was stale looking?
When iOS 7 first came out that began to be the complaint.

I was able to do everything Control Center does and more in the NC with iOS 6. I had that customized exactly as I liked it. And I don't see much difference between swiping up to get CC and swiping down to get NC.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
When iOS 7 first came out that began to be the complaint.

I was able to do everything Control Center does and more in the NC with iOS 6. I had that customized exactly as I liked it. And I don't see much difference between swiping up to get CC and swiping down to get NC.

I'm actually surprised to find so many people who actually like the iOS 6 design. I would have thought i'd get blasted for using such outdated software and hate from people using iOS 8 and the 6 plus. Are there lots of people on here who prefer iOS 6 look?

I just wonder if its safe to use 6.0 (security wise) and apps.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm actually surprised to find so many people who actually like the iOS 6 design. I would have thought i'd get blasted for using such outdated software and hate from people using iOS 8 and the 6 plus. Are there lots of people on here who prefer iOS 6 look?
Count me as one of those who prefer iOS 6.

I just wonder if its safe to use 6.0 (security wise) and apps.
Well. Apple still allows downloads of older apps (based on the version of iOS you are using). There are still people on iOS 5 and iOS 3/4 and there are still apps being developed for those versions available on the app store.

That whole SSL certificate thing a while back got an update in Cydia that patched things for iOS 6 users. But to get that, you'd actually have to be jailbroken.

It just depends on your comfort level. Myself, I don't need to be updated or engage in activities that require the latest security updates to protect me. But if security is what you want then update the device to 8.1.3.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Count me as one of those who prefer iOS 6.

Well. Apple still allows downloads of older apps (based on the version of iOS you are using). There are still people on iOS 5 and iOS 3/4 and there are still apps being developed for those versions available on the app store.

That whole SSL certificate thing a while back got an update in Cydia that patched things for iOS 6 users. But to get that, you'd actually have to be jailbroken.

It just depends on your comfort level. Myself, I don't need to be updated or engage in activities that require the latest security updates to protect me. But if security is what you want then update the device to 8.1.3.

Nah. I'm good with 6.0. Its just that I wish the iPhone 5 never supported iOS 7/8. Then the last available version would be 6.1.4, right? Then that would still be signed and I could get it. I don't see why they supported the iPhone 5 with iOS 7/8 when they discontinued it a year later. I actually preferred the slate iPhone 5 to the space gray iphone 5s.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Nah. I'm good with 6.0. Its just that I wish the iPhone 5 never supported iOS 7/8. Then the last available version would be 6.1.4, right? Then that would still be signed and I could get it. I don't see why they supported the iPhone 5 with iOS 7/8 when they discontinued it a year later. I actually preferred the slate iPhone 5 to the space gray iphone 5s.
Again, I agree with you.

However, Apple supported the iPhone 5 with iOS 7/8 for the same reasons they supported iOS 6/7 for the iPhone 4 and iOS 5/6 for the iPhone 3GS.

I had a 3GS running iOS 6.1 at one point. Of course, no Facetime as well as some other options, but it ran pretty smooth on it.

Again, Apple doesn't want you jailbreaking. So "supporting" the iPhone 5 (and the 4s) on iOS 7/8 is one way to prevent that.

The other thing is that unlike us users who prefer iOS 6 the "keeping up with the Joneses" crowd have to have the latest and greatest on their current phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.