How good is iPad's Retina display's Aperture

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ayoosh, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Ayoosh macrumors newbie

Hi, so i am posting for the first time, and there is something i need to ask!!! i read on a site that ...

Super High Aperture is a method of increasing aperture ratio by applying approximately a 3 [micrometer] thick photo-definable acrylic resin layer to planarize the device and increase the vertical gap between the [indium tin oxide] pixel electrodes and signal lines

now could anybody explain what does it mean.... aperture in sense of display?..pixel electrodes ? and what fuctions do signal lines do??.... any help would be greatly appreciated....chaos

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

By definition, an aperture is an opening in through which light passes through. So in a camera, the aperture is the size of the opening in the lens. In the case of the new iPad LCD, it refers to relative increase in light is allowed to pass through each pixel from the backlight.

3. Ayoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot mate!!!! so anything about pixel electrodes....some thing abt electricity, and signal line?

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

In this case, the effect is twofold. In addition to allowing more light to pass through from the backlight, adding this layer between the pixels and signal lines also reduces the likelihood of crosstalk between the signal lines, which results in sharper images and better overall performance for the display itself.

5. Ayoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but could you tell me exactly WHAT do the signal line DO? their FUNCTION?

6. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

The signal lines tell each pixel when to turn on/off and which colors/intensities to turn on. Each pixel has its own set of signal lines, so eliminating crosstalk between them is vitally important, especially on a high resolution screen like the iPad 3 has.