How good is iWork 08?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bman3221, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Bman3221 macrumors member

I got iWork and Mobileme for free from best buy when I bought it. I'm studying graphic design and i dont know what iWork 08 is for and i guess I just wanted know if it would be good for what I am studying. This semester im going to be doing stuff like designs for postcards, boxes, advertisements, etc. I wanted to know to figure out whether or not to sell it.

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

iworks can help you make all those things.
    its equivalent to the Microsoft Office 07 just better and more compat. for macs
    however if your designing. you should get photoshop or another sort of photo editing program. because thats what graphics arts is around of.
    photoshop
    maya 3D

iworks is mainly for use of word proccessing, powerpoint and datasheets.
    iworks can create cards and various other stuff but wont help you with creating graphics. if you want to create graphics then you must get photoshop

3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

In terms of how it relates to your education, I'd say Pages (Word Processor in iWork) could be considered a desktop publishing program, like Quark Express or InDesign.

However, it's a mere toy in that arena. The other programs I mentioned are the serious players. The desktop publishing side of Pages is more similar to MS Publisher than Quark or InDesign.

Stick with the Adobe apps (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) for your graphic design and desktop publishing work.

iWork is probably fine for writing papers and stuff, as long as you export as PDF if you have to turn them in electronically.

4. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

keep it

im a stickler for design.
    no questions asked
    even if im writing a report or anything, what im handing in needs to have a good design.
    iwork really helps with that.
    pages is pretty good with adverts and postcards
    and idt that the op wanted to create graphics, i think the op wants to arrange the graphics in a way that will look elegant and professional.

keep iwork. its def. worth it.