how good is macbook for design

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Davinci LEo, May 5, 2009.

1. Davinci LEo macrumors newbie

Wats up guys!! i have a serious question to ask. i want to know if any if u does any kinds of design? and if u do wat kind of computer do u recommend to use while studying in university or actually going to work.(all related to design stuff)??

i have a Macbook OS x with a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphic card and 2Ghz ram but i dont know if it if enough for designing and interior design??

plzzzz HELP !!!THANK YOU ALL!!!

2. Cvstos macrumors member

You probably mean 2GB of RAM, not 2GHz. Hz is Hertz, a measurement of speed, not space.

I can't speak from experience, but if I were to wager a guess, design would need more RAM and screen real estate. Which means either a 17" laptop if you're sticking with laptop-only or highly-portable work, or just plugging it into a big monitor (easier and cheaper). I'd also say bump the RAM to 4GB. But then, I'd say that about any Mac. RAM is cheap enough these days that there's no excuse not to.

3. Lestrange macrumors newbie

Well I do illustration at uni, and one of my friends has a macbook (she got it free!! Damn her! lol) The operating system is fine, no problems there.
    However, for design work I wouldn't consider it as the screen is WAY too small IMO. I would say 15" with good resolution would be minimum, anything less and you'll start straining your eyes.

Also RAM...well I use photoshop a lot for my work, and I would say 4Gb RAM would be minimum for comfortable performance, and would prevent you from running out of memory (those files can get PRETTY big! :D)

It depends what kindof software you'll be running though, of course. ^_^

4. Davinci LEo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for the BIG/HUGE Tip!!! :) LOTS OF THX