How good is that Mighty M???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Aug 23, 2009.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well... Let me tell you a story. Today I brought a new mighty mouse to compliment my MBP17. However I seem to be having a problem with it already!! And I got the bleedin thing today!

It connects, the mouse buttons seem to work BUT it refuses to bloody move. At first, I thought it's the crappy mouse matt but it's not shifting that pointer on any surface!!:eek::eek:

Mooove you stupid pile of poo!!! :(:(
    Think it's going back! It's less than a day old too!

Attached Files:

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You got a bad one thats all. Happens with everything in electronics.

I myself don't like the mighty mouse I like the logitech revolution.

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Think I'd change it for the wired version! Less stuff to go wrong!

4. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Just ask for a new one.
    I will, however, take this opportunity to say that Apple REALLY needs to update the Mighty Mouse. They took the time to update the webpage; now update the product!

5. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

+100000

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

In my opinion they are not to mighty. I use a Logitech...

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I'd change it too, but not for this reason. Your MM is defective out of the box. Most MM work fine out of the box. It's not "out of the box" that's a problem for the MM...a few weeks/months into it, the scroll ball stops working. This happens on both the wired and wireless versions.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

^^^^^^^^^^

VX Revolution FTW!

9. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

but it's so ugly...

I have a BT Mighty Mouse. It sucks, but the wireless connection is solid, it gets the job done and, well, it's pretty. I haven't seen a wireless mouse that looks clean enough to match the Apple aesthetic and doesn't suck.

10. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

That's easy to solve tho.. clean the thing! I dunno about you but I always use a sheet of paper and roll the trackball on the paper, usually the static created will pick up all the dust alternatively use some OHP film.

The problem I usually get is a mouse that does connect but refuses to stay connected, Apple like to blame the environment where I'm working, oddly I have their wireless keyboard too and that doesn't suffer... so it's gotta be their crappy mouse. Right?

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I hate the MM, I leave it on the iMac because I don't use that machine. My primary is a Logitech as well.

PS. I have cleaned that sucker many times, the ball just doesn't like to roll.

12. grue macrumors 65816

Given the choice of a Mighty Mouse for the rest of my life, or brain cancer… at least brain cancer can be treated if you're lucky. The only nice thing I can say about it is that side scrolling is kinda nice.

13. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Amen, I use a Logitech as well. I bought the wireless MM about a year ago for use with my MB while traveling. I've used it a total of 5 times. I HATE it! The feel of it is funky, and trying to right click is an exercise in frustration.

When I got the wired MM with my new Mac Pro, I IMMEDIATELY put it back in the box and went and bought a Logitech... Fits my hand better, tracks better, wired so I don't have to replace batteries all the time, right clicks, and has more buttons to control stuff.

I'm sorry, but Apple really needs to rethink their mice. I don't care what it looks like, I care about how FUNCTIONAL it is!

14. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

+1 for the MX Revolution. You can even side scroll with it very effectively by nudging the wheel. Handy in Final Cut, among other places.

15. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That is so not funny...

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I prefer the comfort and performance of the MX Revolution. I use the diNovo Edge, so it is all good.

17. jeenyusboy5 macrumors member

A lot of people hate the mm but i don't mind it at all. I really miss it when I use computers and and go to squeeze the mouse and the internet doesn't pop up. The ball occasionally stops working but a little bit of water and rolling the wheel fixes that. I also like the weight of it. I feel other mice are too light and the mm has a great weight. I would just say return the one you got and try again.

18. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You did remember to open the optics cover on the bottom didn't you. I know it sounds silly but you never know.

19. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Er.... Dude, I'm ain't completely retarded, even if other might be ;)
    Ask yourself this, if the optics door we're closed... how you supposed to pair the thing? It powers down.

Personally, I never close it, using rechargeable cells I never need to worry about lost of power!! Just leave the thing on 24/7 :D

Took it to the Apple store, they can't seem to get it working either! So they've replace it... I hope, still waiting... BORED!!!

20. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Firstly, it's not easy to solve - cleaning does nothing. If you look into this you'll see that the mouse is actually flawed...I work in a spotless environment, never eat/drink around my computer, etc., and even with regular cleaning it stops working!

If it's not shifting the pointer on any surface and if your bluetooth keyboard is working, I guess it's the mouse! Just go return the mouse for a replacement. Don't judge the mouse until you get one that actually works. I'll warn you though that even if you are happy with it once you get a working one, it will probably stop scrolling just like everyone else's eventually!

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, the Blackberry has the exact same kind of scroll ball, and I've seen them in use for years without problems. No rubbing on paper and water or anything like that.

22. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

that is exactly how i feel.

i used to love the mighty mouse but after picking up an MX Revolution + Dock/Dongle from eBay for ~40$ i fell in love.

no batteries, no scroll bar issues, and overall better quality. i still like the MM but the MX revolution is superior IMHO

23. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

LOL @ Don't judge the mouse until you get one that actually works. :D

What you think i'm a complete noob to them? It's gonna be the fifteen one in the space three years...
    Still think it's a good mouse? Still think I shouldn't diss it?
    Here... this is about the most useful thing for it.. rip the top off and use it for collecting ash. :)

[​IMG]
    Taken on May 13, 2006

24. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

I used the wireless Mighty Mouse for 3 months before I sold it to my cousin (poor bastard :D). I never had a problem with the scroll wheel since I have a habit of cleaning my work area with Clorox wipes weekly. The problem was the horrible ergonomics of the mouse, my hand would cramp up trying to use the thing and I would also get an tingling sensation in my forearm. The Mighty Mouse is pretty but is very uncomfortable, it's like trying to use a smooth stone as a mouse that you can never get a good grip on. I bought the Logitech MX Revolution and love the feel and comfort, it has more programmable controls and is a huge upgrade. Funny thing is that the MX actually matches the current MBP, iMac, Cinema Display, and iPhone better than the Mighty Mouse. It even looks better with the Mac Pro since the Mac Pro has no white on it.