How good is the 256GB SSD on the updated MBP15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EJ123, Mar 8, 2009.

1. EJ123 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am buying a MBP15 this week. I am very tempted by the 256GB SSD. Ignoring the huge price compared to buying it separately, does anybody know
    which brand it is and if it is a good performance 256GB SSD? That is compared to the other mean-nasty-fast SSD's out there. I am in a situation where I will fork the 750$ but I would not do it if it is for a drive in the low end of the spectrum. Thanks for any tip?

2. bossxii macrumors 68000

Check out some posts here on the site, someone posted about a Samsung MLC 256gig SSD off Ebay that was nearly double the speed of some others I'd seen.

It is however in the $900 range, I'll update my post here when I find the thread.

Found it: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=658571&page=2

I'm tempted but decided to wait till after WWDC in June and hopefully they intro a new larger size SSD and drop the price of these a bit. To the question of speed.. I used the new Rev B MBA for about 2 months and I can say the machine feels very fast even vs my new 17 MBP (granted it's a 5400 rpm drive) but the boot time, application response (opening) time is insane on the SSD's.