Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
LOL that's pretty funny. "Except for those tasks that run in the background, no processes run in the background".
Well, we were talking about entire apps running in the background. Not just some basic processes.
That's why Apple says closing apps out of the multitasking view doesn't improve battery life.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Obviously certain processes can run in the background, such as music playback and...some other stuff...

But that's about it.
So Apps are not frozen but since iOS 7 can do way more in the background, and their active parts, processes, run in the background. Prior to iOS 7 apps could only have very limited functionality and were essentially frozen until you reopened them.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Obviously certain processes can run in the background, such as music playback and...some other stuff...

But that's about it.

There's actually quite a lot we can have our apps perform in the background. It's been years since we were limited to the most basic of tasks.

Provided there's enough available memory our apps can continue to perform their tasks in the background. It's only when iOS gets low on memory that the OS will terminate tasks and put the app into s frozen state. That's just one area where the 4GB of the iPad Pro comes in handy.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
6 months in, every operation on the bigger iPad Pro still feels much smoother than the smaller iPad Pro or the iPhone 6s. I think this is related to this plenty amount of RAM of it.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
6 months in, every operation on the bigger iPad Pro still feels much smoother than the smaller iPad Pro or the iPhone 6s. I think this is related to this plenty amount of RAM of it.
But it .. Isn't, really? Generally you're talking split seconds difference unless loading giant apps/games. It really only gets faster when you're switching between big apps that the 9.7 will flush from memory. Normal tasks within general apps are no slower.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
4GB of ram sounds like luxury. On my iPad 2, I play a game called 'multi-tasking roulette', because when you switch to a different app, the app you were in before might have to reload when you get back, having 2 or more tabs open is also dangerous :D

dingclancy23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
I think Background refresh is enough. It is a mechanism wherein if you are using Slack or Skype, you can get the messages loaded in the background so that when you open it, the app does not have to fetch/re-fetch un-read messages.

It really is a strict implementation of background apps on the Mac that will keep the app frozen while allowing some background processes to save battery life.

I guess 4gb ram is more than enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.