How Good Is The 9400M in The New Macbooks?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The_Man, Oct 15, 2008.

1. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

Hey, I just ordered a new Macbook and I am just trying to get an idea of how good the new Nvidia graphics card is in the notebook.

I am upgrading from a 2005 iBook G4, so I imagine it will be significantly better than the one in my old notebook. However, I have a GeForce 5700LE 256 in my desktop, and I don't really know how this mobile chip will compare to the GeForce in my desktop.

Can anyone who knows a little more about graphics cards tell me how good the 9400M is compared to my GeForce or to some standard measurement?

2. The_Man thread starter macrumors 6502

The_Man

3. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Short answer - a lot better than the GMA graphics that preceded it.

Longer answer - hard to say for sure because your desktop has a desktop GPU. Going by notebookcheck's ranking of laptop graphics cards, the laptop version of your desktop's card looks to be in class 4, while the 9400 is solidly in class 3. So I think you can expect at least as good (and probably somewhat better) performance.

4. Flyermac macrumors newbie

Flyermac

Prepare your heart for huge emotions!

I will still have my first Mac, but be ready for huge emotions. My PC has an ECS 741GX-M motherboard with a poor onboard AGP 8x video chip, and a Semprom 2400+ CPU, and it sometimes performs nice although the HD is old, so I imagine that your iBook performs better than my jurassic PC with "Cretinows" from Microshit, and I can't imagine how better the newest Macbook will perform over your current computer, so imagine how it will do it over my computer's performance. You will better get prepared to bear brand new wonderful emotions! The so ultra crip images will explode before your sight! :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple: :p

5. vm7118 macrumors regular

hmm... large, bolded, blue text; "cretinows"; "microshit"; "Semprom". you're quite the obnoxious poster, aren't you?

back on topic... i agree with the guy who cited the notebookcheck rankings. the 9400M is a full class above the 5700, so even with it being a notebook card you will see significant performance improvements.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

The Macbook's card, though integrated, will be significantly better.

7. kenned macrumors member

I ran TM nations forever on my new macbook under windows xp

High textures, Medium shadows, Maximum shader quality, 2x antialising, and native resolution (1280*800). This gave me an average of 32 fps .

8. Aniki macrumors regular

up to 10x more impressive then gma, not powerful enough to run crysis, good enough to run COD4, GHIII, left 4 dead, etc. You may want to get a 2.4 ghz if you want the most for your $$$$