How good is the iMac speaker?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LFRG, Jul 24, 2012.

1. LFRG macrumors newbie

Tomorrow I'll be buying my first iMac guys, just one question how loud is the iMac speakers? Like for music and movies or do you think I should buy a set of speakers !??

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It really depends on what your reference point is. What some people think is good, others will find merely adequate and some others will say it's rubbish. In a thread like this you'll get all kinds of responses.

My suggestion is to listen when you get the iMac and then let your ears decide whether the internal speakers are good enough or not.

3. Robsor macrumors newbie

The iMac speakers go quite loud but do not deliver a rich sound. If you really want to get caught up in a movie by rich sound and deep bass I would advice to get external speakers.

I use the Harman Kardon Soundsticks III, which are in my opinion the best PC speakers in it's pricerange (~150USD).

I am in no way an audiophile who hears different tones and heights in a song. I am however a fan of crisp sound and a punching bass. The Soundsticks do that for me.

Cheers :)

4. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Try to get to an apple store and listen for yourself. I'm betting you'll buy a set.

5. AxiomaticRubric macrumors regular

AxiomaticRubric

I suggest looking for a used Apple HiFi. You can get one for cheap on eBay and the sound is amazing with a TosLink cable! :cool:

The built-in speakers on all Apple computers have always been rubbish. I'd rather they use the hardware space for something more useful.

6. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

Any external speaker, no matter how how cheap and basic, is vastly superior to the integrated iMac speaker. A pair of $30 Altec Lansings will blow it clear out of the water.

Integrated speakers are expressly for people who do not value sound quality.

I own the 2011 27" and have A-B tested many audio setups on it. There's really no way to get worse sound out of the iMac than using the integrated speakers. That's always going to be the case. An enormous part of a speaker's potential ability to deliver a good sound is the size of the diaphragm which, in this case, is about an inch and a half wide. That's like nothing.

The OP's question was about loudness - and they can get somewhat loud, but of course the louder you get the worse the sound quality, as the speakers are struggling to produce the sound.

7. Markc1024 macrumors member

I added the BassJump to mine. Not "High Fidelity", but a nice improvement without a large investment.

8. LFRG thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh thanks everyone and I've been to an apple store to test it but with all the noise that is on the apple store you can't quite hear but I think I will definitively buy speakers I was checking the creative inspire T12 what do you think?

9. Swordylove macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Is it significantly better than MacBook's speaker though?

10. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Personally, I don't use external speakers. Mostly because I have a glass desk and try to keep the wires/clutter down to the bare minimum. I do most of my movie viewing and music listening through my living room's entertainment center or in the bedroom TV and stereo. When I really want to turn it up, I just AirPlay to my other speaker systems though out my home and use those as my external speakers.

The speakers on the iMac are more than enough for watching a YouTube clip or listening to music in the background, while you work on something. Beware, though, that those speakers can be fragile. When I first got my iMac, in January, I was playing with it, trying to see how loud I could go and ended up blowing one of the speakers. I was left with a very audible "buzz" anytime I played songs with a lot of bass on it.

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

It is much better than Macbook's speaker. It has more bass to it and better clarity. Let's just say it's the same with your typical built-in TV speaker.

Adequate, but nothing special.

12. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

For me, the lack of clutter on my desk out weights the loss of sound quality. But i don't know what you prefer, so id suggest you listen to what everyone else's saying, try them out. :)

13. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

I find the iMac speakers to be comparable to a cheap pair of USB speakers. I'm not saying they're bad, personally I think they're quite good when you consider their size, but in all fairness even a $30 pair of Logitech LS-21 would be an improvement.

[​IMG]

Can't really expect a lot from something this small.

14. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

They are awesome, and the sound quality is excellent. Much better than any 'beats' laptop or 'high-end' PC all-in-one.

The only reason you'd get external speakers is if you wanted it louder, because the iMac speaker, although high quality, aren't as loud as a full blown stereo.

Otherwise, for casual movies and music, it's fine.

If you do want to get some speakers, I like the PC speakers by Bose.

15. Swordylove macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Thank you. :)