How good is the iPod 4G speaker?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CrazedMuggle, Sep 9, 2010.

1. CrazedMuggle macrumors newbie

CrazedMuggle

I know that there is already a thread about this (but there was hardly any feedback on it) and I'm sorry if I'm not doing this right but I am new here :) Anyways, I haven't been able to find any reviews of what the outer speaker is like on the iPod touch? I know that it's not going to be amazing but it must be better than the previous generations of touches? Thanks!

2. fwoppers macrumors member

From my in-depth observations of the speaker, I can honestly say that ... it's an external speaker. It's probably what you should expect from it. I haven't had any problems playing games / watching YouTube videos, but yeah, it won't be the best quality but it's definitely not the worst thing I've ever heard. :p

3. CrazedMuggle thread starter macrumors newbie

CrazedMuggle

4. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

I think it's kinda better than the last generations' speaker, but the speaker sounds like it has too much treble and little bass.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Slightly better than the iPod 3rd gen speaker.

Slightly worse than the iPhone 4 speaker.

Pretty good. Volume is a little bit low for stuff like FaceTime, but it's workable. In any case, it's a noticeable improvement over the 2nd and 3rd gen iPods, and that's the point, it's an improvement. I'm happy with it.

6. Cuz03 macrumors member

I love it. I'm not comparing it to something else i'm just saying it's great in general. Everything perfect. The treble is a little (a real little) bit more noticable than base but i didn't notice until i realized someone said that on this thread.

7. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

The speaker isn't loud enough in public areas.

8. slumlord macrumors newbie

its bad. very bad. i dont know how skiltrip is lucking out but mine is like half the volume of my ipod3. now im using the ipod3 for the sole purpose of an alarm clock because the ipod4 wouldnt be able to wake me up.

9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

With the angle of the bottom of the new touch, you can do a lot for the volume depending on how you place it or hold it. Resting the touch on a table, back down, actually increases the volume a lot because you get the reflection off the table surface. Also, when holding the touch, if you cup the hand slightly that's near the speaker, you can amplify it a lot.

That said, after I've had the new touch for over a week now, I don't particularly "like" the sound of the speaker. I still think it's a slight improvement over the old touch's internal speaker.

I long for the day when the touch has a speaker onboard that's actually acceptable for listening to music.

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Open up EQ in Music in Settings, then pick "small speaker". This will keep any low frequencies from being played, and the little speaker will sound the best it can. That said it is still tiny. A cheap set of Tweakers sounds far better. Move up to a 2.1 set of powered speakers usually used with PCs and you'll be floored by the difference. No matter which you choose, set the EQ option to match the speaker size/type.

BTW, Bluetooth is much better now. I've gained volume, Pause/play and track controls from my Sony BT50 headphones. Its about time Apple improved the Bluetooth 2.1 functionality

11. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Well with the way that physics works, you probably shouldn't expect any quality or loud sound to come out of the tiny speakers and its components.

12. freeme007 macrumors regular

The speaker is way better than previous ipod touch generation speakers.

13. Blackened macrumors regular

Yes. Louder, clearer and fuller sound.

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I've played the same song at the same time on both my 4th and 2nd gen Touches. You have to be sure you set the system volume in settings the same on both, as well as the volume in the Music app. There is no specific speaker outlet on the 2nd gen and the sound comes out the dock port. The 4th gen's speaker port is next to the dock port, so eminates from the same general area. To my old ears they sound the same.