How good is the rMBP for webdevelopment & webdesign?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ConscienceNL, Jun 19, 2012.

1. ConscienceNL macrumors newbie

ConscienceNL

I'm a little confused which laptop to choose at the moment.

• I don't do video editing, music editing, photography and gaming on the laptop (I use my console for games)

• I do use it for my study which focuses on webdevelopment and webdesign. So I'm going to use Photoshop, Illustrator, programming applications, etc. Basically everything that matters when creating a website. And maybe XCode as well, as I would like to create an iOS app in the near future.

I plan on using the laptop for at least 3 years for my study. Now, for a few days I had decided to go for the rMBP. However, I keep reading stories about lag issues and worst of all: bad quality images on webpages which can only be solved by webmasters by uploading a high-res image as well. Now, I don't see that happening for a long time (especially since most webdevelopers must still develop for IE6 as well). Plus, when I'm making a website on the rMBP, I don't know exactly how others will see it on a 'normal' screen as the images appear different to them (correct me if I'm wrong).

So, any webdevelopers and/or webdesigners who own a rMBP already, how does it suit you?

2. testcss macrumors member

I am using my rMBP for the same things as you and I find it to be excellent. What apps do you use to code? Coda 2 already has retina support and coding with ultra-clear text is amazing! Photoshop is to be updated soon, but I don't know about illustrator. Also, the web doesn't look bad in Safari and Chrome Canary, but it looks bad in every other un-updated browser

3. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

I'm no expert on the web design issues so I'll leave them to someone else. On the lag issues that I saw on this forum, I went to the Apple store actually when was not technically open to have free access to a rMBP. I looked at numerous web sites with extensive photographs and graphics in every screen resolution mode. There was absolutely no scroll lag issue whatsoever.

I talked one of the genius bar guys and no one has brought anything relating to lag to him.

Another issue I have read here is that you cannot install Windows (and possibly other applications) with an external optical drive like Apple sells for the Air or rMBP. The genius guy said he has many Air customers who have used the external drive to install apps including Windows without any problem.

I do not understand where this stuff comes from.

4. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

In stark contrast, I was using the rMBP last week and it was definitely lagging whilst scrolling websites; definitely a software issue though.