How good is the Zagg invisibleSHIELD?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by EarlofCroydon, Aug 5, 2010.

1. EarlofCroydon macrumors member

EarlofCroydon

Okay my iPhone needs a case but I generally hate cases that is why I am considering the invisibleSHIELD cause' it's as good as a naked iPhone. Since it's expensive (in my eyes) i wanted to ask three questions.

1. Does it hide scratches or obscure them making them less noticeable?
    2. How easy is it to install?
    3. How strong is it!!!?!!

Thanks Forumers! :apple::p

2. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I just took off my invisibleshield and installed a wrapsol ultra. I love the new shield!!!

1) It's dry and easier to install, so I didn't make a mistake. Basically you apply it like butter on bread really. Whereas the ZAGG took me a while I ahd to spary alot of adhesive and watch out for fingerprints and stuff.

2) Has drop & scratch protection whereas the invisibleshield only has scratch.
    (Not so sure how good the drop protection is, NEVER plan on trying)

3) the wrapsol feels a little thicker than the ZAGG, but I must say it feels more like the actual glass, the zagg feels like rubber/plastic when you try to swipe and stuff.

But in conclusion, both are good protection, both with benefits and costs. The above points are all based on my love for wrapsol, so yea make sure own decision.

Thanks
    AE

3. davidhawkins123 macrumors regular

1. i put it on before any scratches
    2. relatively easy
    3. i havent had and problems yet, only slightly stretched par of it when installing but i think its gone back to normal now

4. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

I've got the all over shield. But I'm using it with the Apple Bumper. I couldn't praise it enough. I took a bit of time installing it, as it's something that if you don't do it properly, your wasting your time. If you do it carefully you'll be more than happy with the result. However I've had friends who have applied it in a hurry, and it turned out a mess. They ended up taking it off.

Protection wise I'm more than comfortable putting my phone in my pocket with coins or keys and who it will be protected.

5. EarlofCroydon thread starter macrumors member

EarlofCroydon

Thanks! Worth mentioning i'll use it on my iPhone 3GS! Geez everyone on the forum has the i4! Unreal!

I'll check out both :)

6. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Since you asked, my 2 cents.

At first, I liked (not loved) it. I installed the ultimate wrap with the front back and sides. I loved the protection and it did away with the death spot issue.

That said, I hated the way it felt. It was horrible. Cheap and plastic feeling.
    After about 2 weeks of use, the sweat from my hands seemed to have an effect on it the edges of the front and back started to pull away and would not stick.

I finally scored a bumper and that made it even worse so I ended up pulling it off and waiting for the power support film. (Got two scratches on the front of the front in the two weeks naked. Ask me how pissed I am)

My wifes phone has the invisible skin and bumper on it and so far its fine but shes almost never uses her phone so I can understand.

All said, buy the Powersupport. It feels more like the glass and offers enough protection for daily use.

7. EarlofCroydon thread starter macrumors member

EarlofCroydon

Gone for the invisibleSHIELD since the Wrapsol ultra appears to be only in the States. I've watched a couple of application videos it doesn't seem TOO hard. Thanks guys, peace

8. smokescreen220 macrumors regular

smokescreen220

So i purchased the invisibleSHIELD on the day the iPhone 4 came out mainly because it was the only one available and I hated it from day 1...I got rid of it shortly afterward as I hated the way it felt, bought a cheapie from an AT&T kiosk and am very happy with it, I do prefer the Power Support screen protectors and plan to get one soon now that theyre shipping...

9. nyisles84 macrumors regular

you need to be very very meticulous when putting it on. I had the maximum coverage one on. It took me a good half hour or so to get both pieces on perfectly. The I let it sit overnight without touching it for 12 hours. The bumper didn't have too much of a problem with it. But i just really started hating the feel of the rubbery friction 2 weeks in. Plus when its hot out, the corners start peeling up. My Power Support crystal should be in tomorrow. I can't wait. Always used PS on my previous iPhones.

10. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

It feels like cheap soft plastic and has a nasty orange peel look to it but provides slightly more scratch resistance than harder covers like PS or SGP.

11. akasch macrumors regular

I think I'm too late but invisi shield is horrible. Cheap feeling and bad orange peel. I'd go for wrapsol(which I have and love it) or power support like others have said.

12. EarlofCroydon thread starter macrumors member

EarlofCroydon

Okay do I've looked the PowerSupport. Bearing in mind my original post which is the best to go for??

13. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

PS for sure. It'll keep the phone actually looking nice. Unless you put your phone in the same pocket as your keys, you won't need anymore protection than what PS offers.

14. scmenut macrumors newbie

I've used power support for both my 3g (2 years) and my iP4. Keeps the glass feeling better than IS or wrapsol. I can't comment on its ability to hide scratches except that i heard all solutions do a marginal job of hiding minor scratches. I can attest to the durability as far as scratch protection goes, 2+ years on my 3g and it kept the screen looking brand new. I also have the power support rear iP4 cover, and as you would expect its also performing flawlessly. I actually work with films in my career (chemical engineering) and can attest to the high clarity of the film they use.

15. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I currently have the invisibleshield on my iphone (front&back)

I have installed it perfectly but planning on keeping the back shield on but replacing the front cover with a brand such as the SGP Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic Anti-oil Screen.

The front shield came with a scratch already on it plus more have appeared which is fine as its done its job, protectored the phone etc but my main issue with the invisible shield is that it picks up fingerprints/grease like crazy. Therefore making the phone look ugly with the tacky scratches, grease and bumpy orange peel look.

I believe zagg invisible shield is the strongest out there but I'm sure other brands still do a good job and atleast keep the phone looking nice to.

16. solius macrumors regular

1. Yes.
    2. Its real easy to me.
    3. Had them on 3 different iphones never had to send one back for replacement.

17. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Where did you find the power support screen protector? I haven't seen it on Apples website yet.

18. JulesK macrumors 6502

Spray your fingers!

I put the Zagg Invisible Shield on my iPhone 4 the day I got it, and it was a relatively easy install given that the front and back of the phone are flat. What the instructions don't say, and what the video Zagg puts out does, is that it is very, very helpful to spray your fingertips a bit with the soap solution before pulling off the backing; otherwise, you'll get fingerprints in the adhesive, and it's much harder to quickly align.

I don't have the shields on my phone anymore, because I got an Otterbox Defender case and just use the built-in screen protector (which isn't perfect, but I'm not picky). I did send the Zagg shields back for replacement because before I received the Otterbox case, the screen protector took a very nasty scratch that was enough to deform the material permanently, but the iPhone screen underneath was in perfect condition. So I can attest to the extreme scratch protection that that the Invisible Shield offers. Others have mentioned the downsides: orange peel/plastic feel, and the fact that the edges start lifting eventually.

19. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I'm more than happy with the invisible shield full protection dry install.

The matte back protector looks great and never shows fingerprints or scuffs.

20. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Power Support Crystal shield. No comparison to screen clarity and smoothness (not tacky).

21. roffir macrumors member

If you have the iPhone 4 I beleive you can only get it online...
    www.powersupportusa.com

22. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

23. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

24. undercompensate macrumors member

I've had an invisible shield on my ipod touch for a while.
    It was alright, so I thought. Then my friend gave me Power Support screen shields.

Was definitely an upgrade. Look around for antenna decals or shields and you'll be set.