How good is this deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lol, May 7, 2008.

1. lol macrumors newbie

Looking to buy a used one to check out. I don't want to blow $2000 on a brand new MBP without knowing whether or not Mac is for me.

2. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Smells like a scam to me. However, it is your money.

3. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Sounds too good to be true. That machine is worth at least twice that, imo.

If you go along with it, make sure you check out the machine thoroughly. If this is eBay, be prepared to potentially be fighting for your money back.

4. lol thread starter macrumors newbie

It is through craigslist. I am guessing I can meet him at a Starbucks, open up the laptop and check for the specs before purchasing it. Do you guys have any tips on how I should go about checking whether or not it is legit?

I have been a Windows user for at least 10 years BTW; never played with a Mac before.

5. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

It will depend on the reply you get. I recently replied to a craigslist ad for an iMac priced at $550. This is the reply I received:

Hello

I still have the imac.
    My name is Elizabeth Barker and I am now in Manchester, United Kingdom.
    I hope you are still interested and we can make the deal happen right away.
    Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after.
    I have found a way for us to complete the deal fast (3 days) and easy.
    The solution is a worldwide delivery company called TNT. TNT is similar
    to Fedex, DHL or UPS and they will provide assistance in hadling the
    payment and delivery of the imac.
    With this procedure I will only receive the payment for the imac
    after you will receive it and see that it is just like I said it is.

Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the
    imac right away.
    Let me know what you think.

Best Regards,
    Elizabeth

Absolute scam.

6. pogostick macrumors newbie

That sounds very familiar....

Hello,

The laptop is still available and I hope you are still interested. My name is Kyle Mosson and I am now in Manchester, U.K.
    This machine has been used for professional needs over the past 10 Months, it is in great condition and runs perfectly, and beyond evidence of normal use the laptop is in perfect shape. The warranty is good until June 2008 and it is fully transferable. One more thing, it works on US voltage so you do not need a converter.
    I have attached some pics with the laptop to this e-mail so you can see the condition of the laptop.
    Please get back to me and let me know if you like the laptop if you're really interested in buying it.

Thanks,
    Kyle

-------

I knew it was a scam because the pics sent in the email and those posted on craigslist were completely different and the price was too good.

7. macintoshSL macrumors member

macintoshSL

8. soms macrumors 6502

soms

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Personally, I like to buy things from "Bricks & Mortor" shops.

Just my 2cents.

10. mayassa macrumors regular

When I was looking in for one on craigslist, I work in Washington DC. I found the same one, and others suppose to be in DC but always the BS line "in Manchester, U.K." or my company bought this but I don't need it, BIG SCAM put out a little more and meet face to face with someone.

11. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

12. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

It most certainly is a scam. Read the phone number: one digit missing. And I checked craigs list in different cities and the same computer description came up with slightly different phone digits - always missing one.

Remember, you get what you pay for it. If it seems too good to be true - run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.

13. steeler macrumors regular

It sounds like a scam to me. The old rule of, "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" comes to mind.

If you're not sure that a Mac is for you, but are willing to spend $500-$700 or so to find out, then I'd suggest either a new/used Mac Mini (refresh is supposed to be coming on the new ones), used iBook G4 (867Mhz+), or used Powerbook G4 (867Mhz+). Those all have plenty of power to run OS X Tiger at a minimum and give you a feel for a Mac. If you like it, you can always sell your first one and use that cash to upgrade to a MBP bought from a more reputable seller.

14. eltonbalch macrumors newbie

My take on the transition to a mac

Well, first of all you DON'T have to spend $2000 on a new one. Amazon is offering some great deals (obviously they must have lots of inventory of the 2007 models) and a $150 rebate to boot. Check this link.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1210257948&sr=1-9

After rebate your cost would be $1499 for a BRAND NEW machine with warranty similar to the one you are (or were) considering which looks like a scam to me.

If you are new to macs, go to an Apple store and check them out first. The Best Buy chain now also sells macs (don't know if it's in all their stores, but the one near me has a large Apple kiosk). I was in the market for a new PC last August and after several visits to the Apple store, I was convinced--and with 20+ years of PC experience it took some convincing.

15. lol thread starter macrumors newbie

E-mailed him last night right after I started the post. No reply.

Hah, good spotting.

Thanks for the links; I'll check them out. Playing around with a Mac for 30 minutes is not going to help me find out whether or not a Mac is for me. What I need to do is live with it for a month+. Thanks for the advice!

16. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

This is a scam. He's posting this same ad in different cities on Craigslist, and when he replies that he's in the UK, but he has the laptop with him.

I'm sure the next step would be wiring him a bunch of money upfront.

Stay far far away! :rolleyes:

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

its a scam, there have already been threads on this same spec machine showing up on cl from different cities

18. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

always a fun thing to do after the crappy Manchester email, is to reply saying your going there for 3 weeks next week, and would like to meet and do payment then.

Always gets them.

I have been a windows user all my life, around 9 years by now, I know all the INS and outs, every trick, but because of this I want to switch, well also because I will be following a graphics career.

19. audionaut macrumors newbie

Same ad all over Indiana

I'm in Chicago and was quite amazed at the deal I found on a Macbook Pro ($650) in a South Bend, IN craigslist post... until I found the same ad in Indianapolis and 3 other Craigslist sites in Indianapolis. A google search of the 9 digit (incomplete) phone number lead me here to this forum. I guess I'll just wait to see if my emails to the seller get any response (several emails from different accounts responding to multiple craigslist ads). Thanks for confirming that this really IS too good to be true, Mac Rumors Forum.

...ps: anyone see a $100 iPhone yet?

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If it sounds too good to be true; it's too good to be true.

21. mac jones macrumors 68040

You should not be amazed. You should know instantly that this is a scam. You seem like there is some question?

There are so many crooks on Ebay and the net it's mind numbing.

Do a Ebay search for any big ticket electronic device and among every 100 hits you can bet a few will be rip-offs.

Ebay has gotten better about it but it's been a bloody mess.

I would guess ten's of thousands people have been ripped off on ebay with thousands of them over $500 US.

Craiglist .........same thing I would think.

22. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Scam. That machine is the MacBookPro2,1 not 2,2

23. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

hang on ... the email from 'possible scammer' said that they would send the machine FIRST ,
    before any money is sent ...so you can check it out

...what's so bad about that ? , if the machine is ok ...wire the money ...if not ..well, you've lost nothing, have you ?? as no money was sent ! .....maybe I'm being a little naive here ,

24. bimmer macrumors newbie

Don't ever buy anything from Craigslist unlsess there is a local number listed and/or the seller is willing to meet with you in person. Everything else is a scam, especially if the price is too good to be true.