How good is ur battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitneyhu, Aug 18, 2014.

1. whitneyhu macrumors newbie

I own a 15' rMBP mid 2012 since summer 2012, now it lasts around 4hrs on full charge, is that normal? How about you guys?

2. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Battery life is dependent upon what you're doing and what you have turned on/off. i.e. if you're watching lots of stuff that uses Flash Player, that'll suck the battery dry really fast more than anything else.

I'm averaging 6-7 hours with an external drive connected while editing in Lr/PS CC with full screen brightness.

It does seem that Mavericks uses more battery power on older MBP's (my 2010 MBP battery life dropped about 45 minutes after upgrading to Mavericks)

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

5. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I get 6-8 hours depending on usage (usual web browsing stuff). I noticed a vast improvement when switching over to Safari for web browsing while on battery over Chrome. With Chrome I would get like 4-5 hours. Any more intense tasks and I leave that sucker plugged in. No use burning myself rather than burning a desk :p

6. alanferned macrumors newbie

Im using a 13 inch macbook pro that i purchased around this time in 2013, i get 6 hours while just screwing around web browsing. I upgraded the RAM and replaced the hard drive with an SSD and i removed the optical drive and put the hard drive there. 6 hours is pretty good.

7. whitneyhu thread starter macrumors newbie

I am only doing web browing on Chrome, average around 4-5 hrs....

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There's your answer.

Chrome is the worst browser available on OS X, it's a massive resource hog and power drain.

9. whitneyhu thread starter macrumors newbie

true, but I found its folder & tag functions quite useful and can't really surf without it....
    where as safari only has bookmark etc.

10. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

at 50% capacity I'm doing 2 hours on web browsing, listening to music and typing stuff. For photoshop though i can get 1.5 hours.

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

...and Reading List plus many add-ons to manage browsing, maybe worth another look, even if only for when you need max battery life.

12. Mr. Amiga500 macrumors regular

Mr. Amiga500

I'm getting an average of 3.5 to 4.5 hours on my Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro - using just Safari and enabling power saving graphics switching. I didn't expect Apple to be accurate about the 9 hours, but less than half of that is pathetic.

Edit: how ironic... my Mac just popped up a Low Battery notice while I was typing this.

13. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Have you checked Energy Usage in the Activity Monitor to see what is using most other than Safari?

14. iBook_Clamshell macrumors member

Having the airport card on takes away from battery life. Also, the more CPU in use, the more power it uses. Using a word-processing program won't use as much battery life as going on the internet or watching a movie.

15. Mr. Amiga500 macrumors regular

Mr. Amiga500

Of course. Only Safari was listed. It's not like I was rendering 3D animations or editing multiple 4K movies in the background. I get this pathetic 4 hour battery life just with basic browsing.

16. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Seems a little low I have the 2014 2.6/8/256 13" model and my battery life is like 8 hours.

17. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Cool. Just sound off then but if you don't want any other guidance and you are sure nothing elks is running then take the issue up with Apple, no-one here can help any further....Its a bit like manufacturer gas mileage, they use controlled conditions in order to let consumers compare mode-to-model, they are necessarily anything like real-world driving experience....

18. whitneyhu thread starter macrumors newbie

That's very true