How good of a deal is this for as MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thetcm, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Thetcm macrumors newbie

With the new ones just around the corner, I'm being offered a black 13 inch DualCore MacBook with 2Gigs of RAM for 600$. It's about a year or two old.

Good deal?! Bad deal?! What are the rumored prices for the new ones?! If I can get in 4 weeks a better one for 800$ the deal would suck but if it's about the same for 900-1000$, the deal is slowly getting better.

What do you guys think?

2. G5power macrumors 6502

If that black MacBook is on Craigslist it is a scam.

You can find a Craigslist ad for a black MB at around $600 every day at different cities around the US.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I don't think you'd be able to get close to $800 for a new MacBook unless you had some sort of educational or other discount. Even then, I'm thinking the price points won't be dropped low enough to actually hit $800.

4. Thetcm thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah, it's nothing from Craigslist. I'm actually holding it as we speak. My boss is selling a bunch old stuff our company doesn't need and since I've been looking to get a Mac, he made this deal to me.

5. G5power macrumors 6502

Thats great if it's from a known person. You might just do a quick look at ebay and see what auctions are ending up at for that speed.

Craigslist can work great as long as you have your scammer shield deployed. :)

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It is only logical to buy it at that price. No need to ask for opinions. Great deal.

7. Thetcm thread starter macrumors newbie

A quick tour of Ebay and Craiglist showed me that they sell for as much as more than twice or less, but it's screen or keyboard only! :p

What kind of screen can I plug to it? Let's say I buy it, could I buy a 24 or 22 inch screen and use that Mac-to-PC connector we got to use any type of screen or do they have a limit?

8. kalex macrumors 65816

nothing special about this deal. Don't forget this is a core duo model not Core 2 Duo so price of $600 for blackbook is decent. considering that you can get latest generation 2.4 blackbook for around $1100 used, $600 for an old blackbook is decent.

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

MacBooks won't go down to 800, it will be a blessing if we see below 999.

10. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

yep just paid 880 for a 2.4 core duo 2 2gigs ram and 160 hard drive in near flawless condition... so that deal is something worth thinking about, also ask about a warranty

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

IF the deal you got is true, most people won't find one like that. Some idiot didn't know what he had by selling that to you that cheap.

12. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

do they have another? :p