Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Emphasis on LAP.

I'd pick up a rMB that would mostly be used around the house or when traveling. I looked at one at the store and my concern is its too light, too narrow to be used on the lap.

I work on a rMB Pro 13" now and the heft does help a bit in keeping it planted on your lap.

Another place it would be used is in data centers and at customer sites so a lot of times I'm propping something up sometimes precariously where there is room. I'd be concerned about even the weight of an ethernet cable and dongle plugged in pulling it over.

A light tug which may not budge a heavier laptop but something feather weight might move it quite a bit.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Emphasis on LAP.

I'd pick up a rMB that would mostly be used around the house or when traveling. I looked at one at the store and my concern is its too light, too narrow to be used on the lap.

I work on a rMB Pro 13" now and the heft does help a bit in keeping it planted on your lap.

Another place it would be used is in data centers and at customer sites so a lot of times I'm propping something up sometimes precariously where there is room. I'd be concerned about even the weight of an ethernet cable and dongle plugged in pulling it over.

A light tug which may not budge a heavier laptop but something feather weight might move it quite a bit.

It's light, but not a feather. It's not going to just fall off your lap. If you've used an Air 11 or Air 13, the experience\feel is almost identical.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
Works great on my lap.
I will say - I'm using it on my lap in a completely wireless way, so far. I charge it on my night-stand at night, and then use it sans charging/data cables during the day. So, sitting on my lap, there are currently no cables, wires, or dongles weighing it down or dragging it away.
You mention ethernet - is there even an ethernet adaptor?
I bought this because prior to its release, my usage was already consistent with its design goals (as stated at the Keynote). I don't plug into Ethernet (I use WiFi or tethering). I don't plug into external monitors (I use AirPlay streaming if I need to project something on a bigger display). I don't use USB drives (I use AirDrop for file transfers between iOS or OS X devices). That's how I've been working for some time, before this particular Mac came along, so it worked for me.
Other people, however, need more power, cabled connections and ports. This may not, therefore, be the best computer for those people. If you need to plug ethernet in, I'd say that the rMB isn't the machine for you...

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I can only give you my subjective experience from this week. I have been using it on a commuter train. I don't have any feeling that it's going to tip over or that it's unstable, compared to my 13" rMBP. On the other hand, I do feel like the slightly smaller size is a little less likely to get snagged by someone walking by, which is always a concern of mine (although I admit I've rarely seen it happen and never seen a catastrophic fall).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How's the heat on your legs (if any). I found that my rMBP gets very warm, so much so I don't use it on my lap any longer.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
How's the heat on your legs (if any). I found that my rMBP gets very warm, so much so I don't use it on my lap any longer.

I had actually expected that to be the question, based on the subject line. I did some comparative testing yesterday (results posted in a separate thread) that included running the rMB at roughly 91*C (which I think is HOT) for 25 minutes. I measured the temperature of the case at 86*F on the palm rests, 92*-97* on the back/bottom, and 100*F on the speaker grill. So, barely above body temperature, and then only on the speaker grill.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

Saturday I used my rMB for five hours straight on my lap and I felt only a light warmth as with any laptop. I was also wearing shorts :cool:

Unless the machine is being pushed non-stop it doesn't get hot. I've been using Photoshop and edit .raw files since Thursday (along with the norm).

Wick12

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
Good information here, I too am looking to mainly use my rMB on my lap. Glad to hear that heat doesn't seem to be an issue, cannot wait for it to arrive on Tuesday!

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Good information here, I too am looking to mainly use my rMB on my lap. Glad to hear that heat doesn't seem to be an issue, cannot wait for it to arrive on Tuesday!

I am really glad to hear about the lack of heat. That is my main worry with the computer. I'm waiting for the 1.3GHz. I hope it's not hotter than the others. It's a long wait.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I am really glad to hear about the lack of heat. That is my main worry with the computer. I'm waiting for the 1.3GHz. I hope it's not hotter than the others. It's a long wait.

The 1.2 and 1.3 are cooler than the 1.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.