Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone4s16gb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
how does jailbreak thetered 5.0 and 5.0.1 work ?
is it good enough ? any issue on

thanks

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
so everything work like unthered 4.3.3 just cannot reboot right ?

You can't hard reboot, but you can respring. So basically if your phone runs out of battery, you have to plug it into your computer and take 15 seconds to launch an app that boots it tethered. It's really easy; definitely worth the JB. The idea of "tethered" kept me from JB'ing for a long time and shouldn't have, as the JB is stable/fine.

schiotz

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
You can't hard reboot, but you can respring. So basically if your phone runs out of battery, you have to plug it into your computer and take 15 seconds to launch an app that boots it tethered. It's really easy; definitely worth the JB. The idea of "tethered" kept me from JB'ing for a long time and shouldn't have, as the JB is stable/fine.

You should install the SemiTether package, then you can reboot into unjailbroken mode if your phone reboots while away from the computer. Just remember to click on the SemiTether package occationally (after installing stuff) to let it reapply its patches in case you have installed something that would prevent a boot.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
You should install the SemiTether package, then you can reboot into unjailbroken mode if your phone reboots while away from the computer. Just remember to click on the SemiTether package occationally (after installing stuff) to let it reapply its patches in case you have installed something that would prevent a boot.

How is that stability-wise? Any known issues? Otherwise, this sounds like the way to go.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I tried the tethered JB and my phone got stuck on the apple sign and haven't been able to pass that screen. I had to restore and upgrade to 5.0.1. Kinda upset.

BlizzardBolt

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2011
Mariana Trench
I was hesitant like you to jailbreak only because it was tethered.

Gotta admit, tethered JB actually isn't as bad as people make it out to be, very few crashes, cydia tweaks and regular apps all work fine. As long as you can keep the phone from 0% you would be fine and thats easy to do. Anytime its at 20% I just turn on airplane + lowest brightness till I reach a charging place.

Tethered JB definetly is worth jailbreaking for and when the untethered comes out, you would most likely be able to overwrite it.

Shivek

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2010
SemiTether is stable except that it changes all my icons to white and I cannot fix that. Tried everything.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Tethered redsn0w on iOS 5.0.0 is bitchin'. Cydia crashes occasionally but it is not an issue, it restarts just fine.. not all tweaks or themes work on iOS 5 so check out the compatibility lists. It makes me happy though. And the jailbreak is stable. Not a single crash in the last month.

You know you want.;)

Last edited:

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Jailbreak itself is great

The problem is that a lot of tweaks are still not ready for iOS 5, but most are being updated regularly to iron out bugs. I recommend installing the semi-tether to be safe if you are using any beta tweaks or tweaks not yet confirmed to work with iOS 5.

Does anyone have a good link with step by step instructions for semi tethered?

1. install iOS 5
2. Jailbreak with redsn0w
3. Open Cydia
4. add BigBoss Beta Repo (http://thebigboss.org/semitether)
5. install the semi tether

schiotz

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
Oops. My bad. I meant all Cydia apps.
But not Cydia itself, right?

It is a bug. Workaround is to install the Respring package from BigBoss, it rebuilds some cache before respringing. Unfortunately you have to do this after each respring by another program, otherwise some or all of your icons turn white.

gouda272

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
Oops. My bad. I meant all Cydia apps.

That does not happen to me at all .. occasionally an icon will be white but i find if i respring or reinstall a program it fixes it.

FYI i also was hesitant to use a tethered JB, but I have used it on my IP4 ever since it was available for IOS 5 and I dont think i have had to hook my phone up to my computer more than twice since that time. I check my semi-tether status daily or every other day(usually when i check cydia for updates).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.