How good tethered jailbreak 5.0/5.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iphone4s16gb, Nov 24, 2011.

1. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

how does jailbreak thetered 5.0 and 5.0.1 work ?
    is it good enough ? any issue on

thanks

2. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I honestly didn't had any problem with it and tethered is not a big deal anyway...

3. iphone4s16gb thread starter macrumors 6502

so everything work like unthered 4.3.3 just cannot reboot right ?

4. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

You can't hard reboot, but you can respring. So basically if your phone runs out of battery, you have to plug it into your computer and take 15 seconds to launch an app that boots it tethered. It's really easy; definitely worth the JB. The idea of "tethered" kept me from JB'ing for a long time and shouldn't have, as the JB is stable/fine.

5. schiotz macrumors newbie

You should install the SemiTether package, then you can reboot into unjailbroken mode if your phone reboots while away from the computer. Just remember to click on the SemiTether package occationally (after installing stuff) to let it reapply its patches in case you have installed something that would prevent a boot.

6. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

How is that stability-wise? Any known issues? Otherwise, this sounds like the way to go.

7. TC25 macrumors 68020

Stable.
    No.
    Correct.

8. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I tried the tethered JB and my phone got stuck on the apple sign and haven't been able to pass that screen. I had to restore and upgrade to 5.0.1. Kinda upset.

9. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

Semi tethered works fine for me no issues at all.

10. iphone4s16gb thread starter macrumors 6502

so semi tethered could reboot and turn on iphone after turn off ?

11. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have a good link with step by step instructions for semi tethered?

12. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

It has some quirks. But, do you want a jailbreak or not?

13. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

I was hesitant like you to jailbreak only because it was tethered.

Gotta admit, tethered JB actually isn't as bad as people make it out to be, very few crashes, cydia tweaks and regular apps all work fine. As long as you can keep the phone from 0% you would be fine and thats easy to do. Anytime its at 20% I just turn on airplane + lowest brightness till I reach a charging place.

Tethered JB definetly is worth jailbreaking for and when the untethered comes out, you would most likely be able to overwrite it.

14. Shivek macrumors member

SemiTether is stable except that it changes all my icons to white and I cannot fix that. Tried everything.

15. TC25 macrumors 68020

All your icons? Everyone, including the standard apps?:rolleyes:

16. srf4real, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Tethered redsn0w on iOS 5.0.0 is bitchin'. Cydia crashes occasionally but it is not an issue, it restarts just fine.. not all tweaks or themes work on iOS 5 so check out the compatibility lists. It makes me happy though. And the jailbreak is stable. Not a single crash in the last month.

You know you want.;)

17. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Jailbreak itself is great

The problem is that a lot of tweaks are still not ready for iOS 5, but most are being updated regularly to iron out bugs. I recommend installing the semi-tether to be safe if you are using any beta tweaks or tweaks not yet confirmed to work with iOS 5.

1. install iOS 5
    2. Jailbreak with redsn0w
    3. Open Cydia
    4. add BigBoss Beta Repo (http://thebigboss.org/semitether)
    5. install the semi tether

18. Shivek macrumors member

Oops. My bad. I meant all Cydia apps.

19. schiotz macrumors newbie

But not Cydia itself, right?

It is a bug. Workaround is to install the Respring package from BigBoss, it rebuilds some cache before respringing. Unfortunately you have to do this after each respring by another program, otherwise some or all of your icons turn white.

20. gouda272 macrumors regular

That does not happen to me at all .. occasionally an icon will be white but i find if i respring or reinstall a program it fixes it.

FYI i also was hesitant to use a tethered JB, but I have used it on my IP4 ever since it was available for IOS 5 and I dont think i have had to hook my phone up to my computer more than twice since that time. I check my semi-tether status daily or every other day(usually when i check cydia for updates).

21. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

it was unstable for me sorry it would replay the boot sequence again and again:mad: