Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trevor4ever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
MN
I am in need of a new computer. I have the base version of the 2015 12” Macbook. With iPhones and gopro in 4K these days it’s near impossible to edit any family movies at that resolution.

I’m having a ridiculously hard time deciding what to buy. I’m sort of leaning towards a MacBook Pro. I think spec wise it would be pretty decked out, just to future proof myself as much as possible.

But at the same time I’m not absolutely in love with the Mac laptops. I’d love to wait until we see what updates 2018 brings, but I can’t wait that long.

Am I asking for a world of frustration if I decided to find a windows machine? FYI my wife and I both have iPhone x’s, and we have an iPad Pro 10.5, as well as two Apple TVs. I’ve only used macs for the last 15 years.

I’m hesitant to buy a windows machine, but it seems like they are catching up with macs as far as performance and looks (I could be wrong that’s just what I seem to hear).

TL;DR am I crazy for considering a windows laptop or should I stick with a MacBook Pro? If I get a MacBook Pro, what’s the best bang for the buck as far as configuration? Uses would be general computing and editing 4K home and drone videos (not professional by any means)

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance!!

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
Proxy files work wonders.
Anyway, do you absolutely have to get a laptop? If not, the iMac line is quite good with the latest updates.
Editing in 4K you don't need the best of the best especially for non professional use. Just make sure to activate proxy files, I do it with my late 2012 Mac Mini.
If you think you are going to edit faster with a Windows machine than a mac, you are not exactly right.
Most of my machines are Windows based and only 1 is a Mac. That's a 6 to 1 ratio. If I were to buy a new one now I would definitely get an Apple. One of the main reasons is Windows 10. You more or less have to have Windows 10 on a modern Windows PC. You can still get away with some configurations with previous versions, but the writing is on the wall, Windows 10 is not going to lose to its previous versions, MS has made that clear. Why am I saying this, because Windows 10 is the big brother of operating systems. Logging and reporting everything you do, back to MS. From files you open, to sites you visit, to even keystrokes. Most people either don't know about it. Many others (the more fanatical) don't care or try to sugar coat it for some reason.
IF you don't mind, going with a Windows machine would definitely be a good upgrade over your current macbook. But, so would any mac. Your current model is just slow compared to most machines of its price range (and of course higher priced too). Especially if you compare it with Windows machines.

If you are not trying to save money and you have no problem with big brother, sure, go ahead and get a Windows machine. If money is not the number one reason you are looking to buy a Windows machine, I would definitely recommend a more powerful Apple computer. Any current iMac would blast your macbook out of the water in terms of performance, but I would recommend a 4core i7 one with 16GB of ram and at least 256GB of SSD. Do not go with a mechanical drive.

Anyway, that's my view on the matter.

Reactions: kazmac

trevor4ever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
MN
Proxy files work wonders.
Anyway, do you absolutely have to get a laptop? If not, the iMac line is quite good with the latest updates.
Editing in 4K you don't need the best of the best especially for non professional use. Just make sure to activate proxy files, I do it with my late 2012 Mac Mini.
If you think you are going to edit faster with a Windows machine than a mac, you are not exactly right.
Most of my machines are Windows based and only 1 is a Mac. That's a 6 to 1 ratio. If I were to buy a new one now I would definitely get an Apple. One of the main reasons is Windows 10. You more or less have to have Windows 10 on a modern Windows PC. You can still get away with some configurations with previous versions, but the writing is on the wall, Windows 10 is not going to lose to its previous versions, MS has made that clear. Why am I saying this, because Windows 10 is the big brother of operating systems. Logging and reporting everything you do, back to MS. From files you open, to sites you visit, to even keystrokes. Most people either don't know about it. Many others (the more fanatical) don't care or try to sugar coat it for some reason.
IF you don't mind, going with a Windows machine would definitely be a good upgrade over your current macbook. But, so would any mac. Your current model is just slow compared to most machines of its price range (and of course higher priced too). Especially if you compare it with Windows machines.

If you are not trying to save money and you have no problem with big brother, sure, go ahead and get a Windows machine. If money is not the number one reason you are looking to buy a Windows machine, I would definitely recommend a more powerful Apple computer. Any current iMac would blast your macbook out of the water in terms of performance, but I would recommend a 4core i7 one with 16GB of ram and at least 256GB of SSD. Do not go with a mechanical drive.

Anyway, that's my view on the matter.

Yeah I do need a laptop for home and work. I’m a farmer, but as surprising as it is I spend a lot of time doing computer work. Some days it feels more like an office job than physical work. Anyway...

So would you recommend the 15” MBP vs the 13? It’s not like I’m a video editor, but I’d like to at least put together all our 4K clips into some sort of movies rather than having hundreds of short clips unorganized.

Also, could you explain proxy files? I don’t believe I know what you mean.

And thank you for such a quick response!!!

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
Yeah I do need a laptop for home and work. I’m a farmer, but as surprising as it is I spend a lot of time doing computer work. Some days it feels more like an office job than physical work. Anyway...

So would you recommend the 15” MBP vs the 13? It’s not like I’m a video editor, but I’d like to at least put together all our 4K clips into some sort of movies rather than having hundreds of short clips unorganized.

Also, could you explain proxy files? I don’t believe I know what you mean.

And thank you for such a quick response!!!
While video editing is what I do, I am a terrible teacher.
I will link to a couple of videos which will explain it. They are not my videos.
You should try what they say with your current laptop, in case you don't even need to get a new one.

Just don't forget when you export/share the final file to change to optimized view before you do so. (it will make sense after you watch the videos.

Mind you the above is IF you use Final Cut Pro X. If you don't, then...well, let me know.

MaxinMusicCity

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Nashville
I am in need of a new computer. I have the base version of the 2015 12” Macbook. With iPhones and gopro in 4K these days it’s near impossible to edit any family movies at that resolution.

I’m having a ridiculously hard time deciding what to buy. I’m sort of leaning towards a MacBook Pro. I think spec wise it would be pretty decked out, just to future proof myself as much as possible.

But at the same time I’m not absolutely in love with the Mac laptops. I’d love to wait until we see what updates 2018 brings, but I can’t wait that long.

Am I asking for a world of frustration if I decided to find a windows machine? FYI my wife and I both have iPhone x’s, and we have an iPad Pro 10.5, as well as two Apple TVs. I’ve only used macs for the last 15 years.

I’m hesitant to buy a windows machine, but it seems like they are catching up with macs as far as performance and looks (I could be wrong that’s just what I seem to hear).

TL;DR am I crazy for considering a windows laptop or should I stick with a MacBook Pro? If I get a MacBook Pro, what’s the best bang for the buck as far as configuration? Uses would be general computing and editing 4K home and drone videos (not professional by any means)

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance!!

I run Mac and Windows on the same Mac. Parallels Virtual Machine allows this. The beauty of this is that if Windows crashes, freezes, or corrupts, you just drag it to the trash can and pull in your backup "machine". I do recommend 16gb of ram and plenty of storage (you can never have too much of either). Try that with a windows machine!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Price/Performance:

Windows laptops have a clear advantage in this category. For less than a $1,000 you can get a Windows laptop with a Core i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16GB RAM, 1080p display and 512GB SSD. Which will give the fastest 15” MBP a run for its money.

At the price of a mid-Range 15” MBP (around $2500). You can get a 4K display at 17” or 15”, Core i7-7820HK or 7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1070 or faster, 32+GB RAM and a 1TB or higher NVMe SSD. Depending on which options you choose and if you are willing to upgrade the RAM and SSD yourself. In any event for the price of the mid-range 15” MBP. You will get a Windows laptop which no currently selling MacBook Pro can touch in video editing performance.

Windows or macOS depends on your proficiency in either platform and ability to adapt. If you have an easy time learning software and how to use gadgets. I don’t think you’ll have many problems. Sure, there will be points of frustration. How difficult the transition is depends entirely on your willingness to learn the Windows way of doing things. I’ve used both since the early 90’s (before that it was all Apple II and DOS). Up until Windows XP I considered macOS superior. Once XP came around it didn’t matter which I used. Since Windows 7. I have a preference towards Windows.

As you’ve only used Macs for the last 15 years. You may hate Windows 10. You may love it. I couldn’t say which. That depends on the person.

Web:

Most of what people do nowadays on computers is on the Web. Mac or Windows you won’t see much difference. I think Chrome, Safari or Firefox will have the biggest impact on your daily experience. Don’t even use Edge it is a horrible web browser. I don’t care much for Safari either. Chrome is good for the sites I use often. I use Firefox for private and secure browsing. I know out the box Chrome is supposed to be more secure. If you dig into About:config and deal with good extensions. Firefox can really lock out malware.

Photo/Video Management:

This is where things get sticky. If you are using (Apple) Photos to manage everything. Plus, have it organized with Albums, People, Moments, &c. You are in for a world of hurt. While getting your media to a new platform is easy. All that customization is proprietary. You will have to spend a lot of time rebuilding all that custom work in other software. Getting albums over to say Google Photos can be done in several steps. Everything else will require a lot of manual input.

If you just snap videos and photos. Let them sync through iCloud and upload videos onto your Mac. Without much concern for organization. Then a straight Photo/Video dump is quite easy.

Apple lets you sync your iCloud Photo Library with Windows. But it isn’t that pretty. I’d look at other options for Photos and Video. Google Photos is the most popular. Unfortunately, there is only a Web interface for Windows. If you aren’t doing the cloud syncing. There are better standalone Photo/Video management options.

Some of the alternative Photo managers are available for Mac. You can give them a try. Personally, I hate Photo managers. I store everything in folders and edit them in Photoshop.

Video Editing:

There are plenty of good quality video editors on Windows, free and paid. If you are using iMovie or Final Cut. There will be a learning curve. Many of the popular Windows video editors are available on Mac. So, you can give the Mac version a try.

iPad/iPhone:

You can backup and restore fine in iTunes if you aren’t already doing everything through iCloud. You can also keep MS Outlook in sync with contacts, calendars and e-Mail. Personally, I’d move all that extraneous stuff to Google. As it is more platform agnostic for contact, calendar, e-mail, notes and task syncing. I’m not a major fan of Outlook. Thunderbird is much better for e-mail. Then I use the built in Windows 10 calendar. The Web interface for Google in Chrome is quite good, as well.

For the most part it doesn’t matter if you have Windows or macOS if you have an iPhone/iPad.

Apple TV:

Most uses for an Apple TV are web based. It doesn’t really matter which you use. For your home media. You can share Photos and videos. You can also use Airplay streaming. There are workarounds for Airplay Mirroring. I don’t know too much about this as I don’t use an Apple TV. I also use Plex for my video library.

Reactions: h9826790

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
[doublepost=1511452351][/doublepost]
In any event for the price of the mid-range 15” MBP. You will get a Windows laptop which no currently selling MacBook Pro can touch in video editing performance.
Not entirely accurate.
The speed of FCPX with a Mac is just too far ahead for most things compared to any other Windows based editing software.
While the horsepower of an equally priced Windows machine might be higher (might), that doesn't mean the video editing performance will be higher too.
That's only certain if you use the same software package like Adobe Premier Pro, which is general faster on Windows. If however you use FCPX which is only available on macOS and you compare it with Premier Pro, the performance advantage for the Windows machine will just not be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samuelsan2001

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
[doublepost=1511452351][/doublepost]
Not entirely accurate.
The speed of FCPX with a Mac is just too far ahead for most things compared to any other Windows based editing software.
While the horsepower of an equally priced Windows machine might be higher (might), that doesn't mean the video editing performance will be higher too.
That's only certain if you use the same software package like Adobe Premier Pro, which is general faster on Windows. If however you use FCPX which is only available on macOS and you compare it with Premier Pro, the performance advantage for the Windows machine will just not be there.

I'd have to see benchmarks. Utilizing the same edits in 4K. Pitting Adobe Premiere Pro in Windows with CUDA acceleration on a GTX 1070 (laptop) and 32GB RAM then 64GB RAM vs a Macbook in Final Cut Pro with the AMD Radeon Pro 560 and 16GB RAM. Before I'd accept that a Windows laptop with an extreme hardware advantage would not outperform a Macbook with 4K video. Pugetsystems recommends at least 64GB RAM for 4K video. Although that is for a professional workflow. An amateur should be able to get away with 32GB RAM.

The GTX 1070 (laptop version) has an extreme performance advantage in GPU accelerated tasks. It's not as though there is a small difference to debate about. The GTX 1070 is several times faster.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-GTX-1070-Laptop-vs-Radeon-Pro-560_7364_8066.247598.0.html

Video editing can also be very memory hungry. Especially if you have a lot of 4K footage. With a 16GB limit in the MBP. FCP would have to be extremely efficient to compete with a Windows machine which can have 32GB or even 64GB RAM.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I'd have to see benchmarks. Utilizing the same edits in 4K. Pitting Adobe Premiere Pro in Windows with CUDA acceleration on a GTX 1070 (laptop) and 32GB RAM then 64GB RAM vs a Macbook in Final Cut Pro with the AMD Radeon Pro 560 and 16GB RAM. Before I'd accept that a Windows laptop with an extreme hardware advantage would not outperform a Macbook with 4K video. Pugetsystems recommends at least 64GB RAM for 4K video. Although that is for a professional workflow. An amateur should be able to get away with 32GB RAM.

The GTX 1070 (laptop version) has an extreme performance advantage in GPU accelerated tasks. It's not as though there is a small difference to debate about. The GTX 1070 is several times faster.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-GTX-1070-Laptop-vs-Radeon-Pro-560_7364_8066.247598.0.html

Video editing can also be very memory hungry. Especially if you have a lot of 4K footage. With a 16GB limit in the MBP. FCP would have to be extremely efficient to compete with a Windows machine which can have 32GB or even 64GB RAM.
You are going to have to look for exact stats from someone else. I abandoned Premier Pro years ago. I am sure looking for it you will eventually find what you are looking for. Good luck.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
4K is the next bump in video, and the various approaches to it seem to be in flux. Fortunately, you have a couple of 4K cameras (iPhone X) in which to try different things until you find one that works for you. Have you tried iMovie? It's free, and is meant to work with anything Apple makes. How well this works is up to you to to determine for yourself. For FCPX, here's and relevant page that is useful for importing different media. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12702?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

A couple of years ago my niece married into a Kansas farm family. In speaking with his family at the reception, it was fun to learn how much technology is a part of their operation.

Last edited:

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I think using both Windows 10 and macOS/iOS simultaneously is easier now than ever before. There are quite a few nice Windows laptops with considerable performance at a very reasonable price. The Dell XPS 13, Lenovo Yoga, and Spectre x360 are some examples of nice implementations. No different than with the current MBP, each model has their own quirks. Further, some Windows laptops have already adopted quad core CPUs in the 13-inch form factor (such as the XPS 13.) If form factor is not a critical point, there are some 15-inch Windows laptops you can find with a quad core i7-7700HQ, 16GB of RAM, a 1050TI dGPU, and a 128 m.2 SSD for around $900 (and one with a 7700/16RAM/1060dGPU/256SSD for around $1,000.)

If you decided to upgrade your 2015 MacBook to a 2017 MacBook, I personally feel the systems are so different they should practically have a different name. My 2017 MacBook is probably the most refined computer I have ever owned - it's fit and finish for a mass-produced product is just exceptional, and its performance (for what it is) really has surprised me. That said, if editing a lot of 4k, there are arguably better options - but, you could purchase a 2017 retina MacBook for a portable do-all and a powerhouse Windows 10 laptop for editing for less than the price of a 15-inch MacBook Pro.

IMHO, the iCloud Photos/iCloud Drive Windows 10 App works quite well. It's functionality is obviously a bit more limited. Contacts/Calendar can play quite nicely with the current versions of Outlook 2016. Google products sync quite nicely cross-platform. Windows 10 itself isn't a bad OS at all. That said, I still personally find myself preferring macOS.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Putting aside the hardware aspects for the moment, I want to address the integration question you asked. I've used Macs and Windows for many years. (And for the most part, it's been something that's made me more beneficial to clients and employers). Each has their pros and cons. But the challenge I see with your question is twofold. First, it's getting to know the Windows way of doing things. It is different than Mac. Second, it's working in a two-platform environment, which includes getting devices/apps/data to work with each other, but also maintenance such as OS and SW updates.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Price/Performance:

Windows laptops have a clear advantage in this category. For less than a $1,000 you can get a Windows laptop with a Core i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16GB RAM, 1080p display and 512GB SSD. Which will give the fastest 15” MBP a run for its money.

At the price of a mid-Range 15” MBP (around $2500). You can get a 4K display at 17” or 15”, Core i7-7820HK or 7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1070 or faster, 32+GB RAM and a 1TB or higher NVMe SSD. Depending on which options you choose and if you are willing to upgrade the RAM and SSD yourself. In any event for the price of the mid-range 15” MBP. You will get a Windows laptop which no currently selling MacBook Pro can touch in video editing performance.

Photo/Video Management:

This is where things get sticky. If you are using (Apple) Photos to manage everything. Plus, have it organized with Albums, People, Moments, &c. You are in for a world of hurt. While getting your media to a new platform is easy. All that customization is proprietary. You will have to spend a lot of time rebuilding all that custom work in other software. Getting albums over to say Google Photos can be done in several steps. Everything else will require a lot of manual input.

If you just snap videos and photos. Let them sync through iCloud and upload videos onto your Mac. Without much concern for organization. Then a straight Photo/Video dump is quite easy.

Apple lets you sync your iCloud Photo Library with Windows. But it isn’t that pretty. I’d look at other options for Photos and Video. Google Photos is the most popular. Unfortunately, there is only a Web interface for Windows. If you aren’t doing the cloud syncing. There are better standalone Photo/Video management options.

Some of the alternative Photo managers are available for Mac. You can give them a try. Personally, I hate Photo managers. I store everything in folders and edit them in Photoshop.

Video Editing:

There are plenty of good quality video editors on Windows, free and paid. If you are using iMovie or Final Cut. There will be a learning curve. Many of the popular Windows video editors are available on Mac. So, you can give the Mac version a try.

iPad/iPhone:

You can backup and restore fine in iTunes if you aren’t already doing everything through iCloud. You can also keep MS Outlook in sync with contacts, calendars and e-Mail. Personally, I’d move all that extraneous stuff to Google. As it is more platform agnostic for contact, calendar, e-mail, notes and task syncing. I’m not a major fan of Outlook. Thunderbird is much better for e-mail. Then I use the built in Windows 10 calendar. The Web interface for Google in Chrome is quite good, as well.

For the most part it doesn’t matter if you have Windows or macOS if you have an iPhone/iPad.

Apple TV:

Most uses for an Apple TV are web based. It doesn’t really matter which you use. For your home media. You can share Photos and videos. You can also use Airplay streaming. There are workarounds for Airplay Mirroring. I don’t know too much about this as I don’t use an Apple TV. I also use Plex for my video library.

Photos

PowerPhotos (Mac app) works well for managing several Photos databases. For example, I use it to copy albums from one Mac to another. This avoids keeping all photos in one database (photos file)

Apple TV

The Computers app on ATV still works reasonably well for playing media (video, music photos) stored on a Mac that is running ITunes (with Homeshare on). No internet needed! This could be useful if you are creating 4K movies.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you want to get into 4k editing on the Mac, perhaps you should be looking at the 27" i7 iMac...

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
One thing for certain, if you introduce Windows into your household, count on your system administration load to increase significantly.

I have owned Windows machines off and on in my Mac home (either in the form of a physical box or a virtual machine) and yes, there is a noticeable increase in sysadmin effort even though Windows 10 is lightyears ahead of the bad old Windows NT days (and making copies of virtual machine disk files is a non-brainer).

Everyone has their own pain threshold and mine will not allow me to own a physical Wintel machine at home anymore. I have better things to do with my time than diddle with Windows on a physical machine. I only run one program on my Windows virtual machine.

It was even better when I had a free virtual machine at Amazon as they hosted the virtual machine in the cloud. I didn't use any disk space or CPU cycles.

Just something to consider...

Reactions: Trusteft

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
A couple of things to consider.

1. If you switch to Windows you may need to get new software. There may be a cost and a learning curve.

2. Windows may have some software which is not available on the Mac. For example the only reason I keep Windows around is due to the Windows version of Quicken being better than the Mac version.

3. Windows is a different ecosystem. Synchronizing between devices becomes more difficult.

4. If you are doing standard things, just web browsing, using the built in Windows apps everything may be just fine. But if you start to do other things, such as installing devices such as blu-ray players, scanners, etc. things can get more complicated.

I say this from decades of windows experience. A new device may require locating a new driver. A recent Windows update totally crashed my Windows 10 virtual machine and it was unrecoverable by any of the standard Windows tools. I had to reinstall all of my apps. On my mac I reinstall the OS every few months with absolutely no issues.

Windows is much more complicated, although MacOS is definitely not simplifying. Take a look at the registry.

It's a tradeoff between cost, performance, aesthetics, and ease of use. You have to decide how to weight these factors.

jerry333

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2005
The easiest way is to get VMware and run that on your Mac. You can install it so that it's isolated from the real computer. (You can still paste back and forth, but any Windows malware that you pick up won't infect the rest.)

trevor4ever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
MN
yeah I'm still reading them just been busy with the Holiday.

Heres what I have decided to do...

I bought a 13" non Touchbar MacBook Pro with this setup:
(13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

I am hoping this setup will suit my needs fairly well. I only have one program that NEEDS to be run on windows. (its a farm management program called Land DB). I will be running that via parallels which I have been doing in the past on my older retina MacBook. I am going to get an external monitor to help with screen size for spreadsheets etc.
This way I can have the portability when I need it and screen real estate for the rest of the time.

I am also thinking of buying a desktop windows machine. This might sound crazy but I have an extreme curiosity for VR. I was thinking of ordering a gaming pc from somewhere like Falcon (tiki). I realize they are crazy expensive but I figure I could run any VR game as well as load that one program I need in windows. If I really love it and find that Windows isn't so bad, I may just end up selling the MacBook Pro I bought and just use that nice windows machine and just continue to use our phones and iPad for pretty much everything other than the video editing I have mentioned (this all probably makes much more sense in my head, at least I hope haha).

I will plan on re-evaluting next year. By then I should know what works for me. So basically I think I will run a "best of both worlds" setup until next year when apple will possibly make nice updates to the MacBook Pros and iMacs. I will end up with one of the following setups.

1. MacBook Pro, 27"external display, iphone/Ipad and possibly the gaming PC if it turns out I love VR and games.
2. Running only the gaming PC with and my iPhone/Ipad
3. Buying a 27" iMac and possibly a 12" iPad if they come out with a redesign.

I could make all of these setups work. I would buy/sell/trade whatever I had to to end up with one of these setups. I realize its going to cost me some money and I will lose some value in whatever I buy now, but at least I can figure out what works for me as far as windows/Mac and portable vs desktop. I realize this all sounds super confusing but I THINK it makes sense in my head. If anyone can decipher what Ive been talking about id love some opinions on my plan.

Anyone have any experience with falcon Tiki gaming PCs? I like that they seem super powerful and are still small. Im not looking for a huge ugly PC. Would also like some opinions on external monitors (i will be starting some research on them as soon as I finish this reply)

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry if this post is long and confusing. Im sort of just thinking out loud as well. End result of my little experiment should tell me if I am ready to leave my perfect mac bubble or if I can handle the move to windows and integrating it into my whole mac ecosystem I've found myself in after all these years.

Last edited:
Reactions: kohlson

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
The discussion here would have been more focused, efficient and concise had you mentioned your intended Windows usage (farm management Land DB program plus VR interest) in your original inquiry rather than finally mention it in post #20.

Determine your usage case first, then pick the tool that will best help your goals. If I need to flip a pancake, I'm not going to pull out a wire whisk.

Since I have no familiarity with VR, I will bow out of this discussion.

Good luck with your purchase decision.

trevor4ever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
MN
The discussion here would have been more focused, efficient and concise had you mentioned your intended Windows usage (farm management Land DB program plus VR interest) in your original inquiry rather than finally mention it in post #20.

Determine your usage case first, then pick the tool that will best help your goals. If I need to flip a pancake, I'm not going to pull out a wire whisk.

Since I have no familiarity with VR, I will bow out of this discussion.

Good luck with your purchase decision.

Yes I understand. I realized I created a different thread that mentioned my intended usages. I apologize.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.