How hard is it to build a MacPro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kalton, Jul 13, 2010.

1. kalton macrumors newbie

Feb 19, 2009
    Since I'm fairly new to Mac's....I just bought my 1st new iMac in January...I thought I'd better ask you folks that are far more experienced in all things Mac....

Just wondering how hard it would be to buy a used MacPro that is only a few years old (but is basically dead & relatively cheap), then purchase top-end video card, graphics, card, new hard drives, memory.....all the great stuff to make for a killer MacPro that would be smoking hot?

Thanks for advice & input.
  2. DualShock macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2008
    Unless you are planning to only run Windows on it, then you can't just upgrade the graphics card with any card on the market. You must either buy a Mac specific card, or flash the firmware with a patched one (check out Cindori and netkas's threads for that). This is because Macs don't use a BIOS; they use EFI instead. You need a graphics card whose firmware is EFI compatible, which none of the ones built for PC's are (currently).

Even if you flash the card, you still need OS X drivers. Unless Apple has released drivers for the specific card you want to use, you're out of luck. And even if they do have drivers, there could be compatibility issues (though I believe these are mainly due to the flashed firmware being incompatible with the specific model of graphics card you might have).

Otherwise, hard drives and RAM can be easily upgraded.
  3. goMac macrumors 603

Apr 15, 2004
    I wouldn't go any older than a 2008 Mac Pro (the version before the current version). They have compatibility issues.

If the motherboard are processors are still working, it's not a bad idea. But if either the motherboard or processors are not working, and you don't have a cheap source for new processors, than it's not worth it.
  4. UltimaLink macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Somewhere in PA.
    Follow a hackintosh guide that teaches you how to build one. It'll be much more usefull.
  5. 63dot macrumors 603

Jun 12, 2006
    I also agree with a hackintosh guide or some sort of guide.

Some techies have no issues because they can simply write their own drivers. But for the vast majority of us, if it can't be plugged in, downloaded, or bought second hand or from a third party maker, then you are out of luck.

That being said, a techie site would find what you are attempting as basic child's play so it's all relative. This is a great Mac rumors site and general use site, but it's not a technician's site.

That would be more for a or similar site. I discovered that site before Macrumors and there are people there who can answer anything computer related.