How hard is it to clean the MBP's faN?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Laughingman13, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Laughingman13 macrumors member

There is only one fan in the MBP right?

How hard is it to access the fan in your MBP?

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

# of fans depends on which MBP you have. It's easy to clean the fan(s). Just take the bottom cover off and blow the dust off the fan blades.

3. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

D

Tell us the model and specs of you MBP. Some have one others have 2. If it's a unibody MBP, you remove the bottom lid, disconnect the fan(s) cable(s) and unscrew the fan(s). Older unibody Macs have philips 00 screws, newer ones have special screws, but theres a scre driver for that. One the fan is removed, I blow into te heatsink vents, and blow into the fans. If really dusty in the fans, a cotton swab wet with water is used to remove the remainig dust. Sometimes (don't do this) I carefully poor a little water through the heatsink vents while keeping the electronics covered up. This ensures ALL dust is gone.

4. Laughingman13 thread starter macrumors member

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Probably never.

6. blackwind macrumors regular

Wouldn't it be easier to use the Paint Brush?

I normally use Paint Brush ($2) make sure it hard strains on (not soft coz they can get thing out)... just brush it gently. I haven't try it on MBP but i done on afew laptop and desktop i have. Also sometime i use Vacumm cleaner to suck the one that hard to get.

Cheers

7. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

nice thread, i was considering doing this further down the lifetime of my mbp :)

8. piwi macrumors regular

If you unscrew the fans, does the radiator come with it too, leaving the CPU's cores exposed? Or does the radiator stay in place and only the fan comes out?

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I would do it after 2-3 years of use. It might help with noise levels because the airflow is more efficient and the fans can spin slower. It is not necessary unless your fans are at max all the time.

10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

That radiator is really the fins that are attached to a pice of metal called a heatsink. Removing the fan does not require removing the heatsink, and a more complete disassembly is needed to remove the heatsink anyways.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Fan/1338/1

11. Ateace3 macrumors member

i have only had me macbook for 3 months now. i went to the apple store to have them upgrade my hard drive (which they guy did :D) and when he cleaned the fan it was surprisingly dusty. im going to start cleaning it every few months now.