How hard is it to get an exchange from Apple on an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by weddlec, Oct 23, 2011.

1. weddlec macrumors member

I was able to get a launch day 4S and have been pretty happy with it except for the fact that the home button is not up to snuff. I am able to completely depress the button and feel/hear it click without it registering the push of it. It causes problems especially when double clicking. There is definitely a problem. I have compared it to 1 other 4S and 2 other 4's. They register every click with minimal effort. Mine takes a pretty hard push past the click to get it to register and many double clicks lead to it just going to the spotlight page.
    What I want to do is take advantage of being in my 30-day window and do a full on exchange for a new one. I don't want it repaired or swapped out for a refurb. Does anyone know how that works. I fear Apple will give me a hard time due to my contract with AT&T and the fact that there is a shortage of phones right now. I am fully within my right to return it, I just don't want to lose out on my upgrade discount and not be able to get a new one when more come back in stock.

2. glhughes macrumors regular

This seems to depend on where you bought the phone (Apple retail store or apple.com, or elsewhere) and how the person / manager you get at the store feels about it on that day.

I have exchanged my preordered (apple.com) phone twice now for "new" non-retail phones (i.e. "service units") that they have on hand specifically for warranty replacements. In the store they were unwilling to exchange for a new retail box even though I had ordered from apple.com.

My experience indicates that you will most likely be told to return the phone from point of purchase, get a refund, and then re-buy another phone.

3. weddlec thread starter macrumors member

I got it from Apple.com So that doesnt screw with your carrier contract discount? What about in your experience

4. glhughes macrumors regular

I haven't yet tried to return the phone for a refund so I can't comment on how it affects the carrier discount or contract. I would expect that it would reset back to whatever it was in the past as I believe there are usually 30-day "remorse period" clauses in such contracts but I can't say for sure. Best bet would be to call AT&T and ask.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Since stocks are still sold out, you'll have to return it and re-order another one. The stock they keep on-hand will be refurbished/service units, which you don't want. Also, if you used an upgrade, you'll have to wait 5-10 days for your carrier to reset your upgrade, so you'll be able to rebuy using the upgrade price.

Basically, you'll be looking at a long wait either way.

6. spades1412 macrumors 6502

or you could just make an appointment with an Apple genius to have the phone looked at. They will most likely replace it with a service unit they have on hand just for replacements. This unit will most likely be a "NEW" unit, although a refurb will have gone through a much greater quality control test than a brand new unopened retail box unit would have.

I've never had a phone replaced, but would have no problem accepting a refurb unit as long as it functions and appears as new. Your warranty remains the same.

7. hollowplayer macrumors regular

i rather have refurbished. Got a 4s replacement sent from apple with dead pixel and more severe home button wiggle problem. I think those brand new unit they claimed are returns or exchanges and look brand new.