How hard is it to learn to make iPhone apps

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by samsandy, Sep 28, 2011.

1. samsandy macrumors member

I looking at learning how to develop for the iPhone and i was wondering how hard it is to learn the language and how long it takes to pick it up well enough to start making apps and games.

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

It depends on what your background is and how quickly you take to water.

But I'll tell you now, it's not as simple as dragging a few things around and clicking a few buttons.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Our new programmers all have proficiency with C as well as some object oriented techniques before we hire them. It takes typically 6 months before they can contribute in any meaningful way on a project, and another year after that before they can take a lead role.

Go through the Stanford podcasts as if you are a student, doing all the exercises, and you will get a pretty good idea of the basics.

-t

5. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

It's like finding the center of a tootsie roll pop.. you just have to try and see. Everyone is different. You will never regret trying to learn a new skill. Well maybe chainsaw juggling.

6. samsandy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that will look at those podcasts.

7. Gepper macrumors member

Thanks. I'm sitting in the airport and everyone is looking funny at me after i burst out in laughter... :)

8. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

:)

Chainsaw juggling is to individual sport as circular saw blade frisbee is to team sport.

9. samsandy thread starter macrumors member

HAHA Im very keen to try that sport now :)

10. firewood macrumors 604

Most professional programmers spend at least 4 years at a university learning the subject. Some flunk out or switch majors. But some really smart kids learn enough in a couple intensive months to get by. Which category fits you?

11. 1458279 Suspended

Not to mention the dropout rate, Comp Sci / MIS was really high when I went to college.

12. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Mine was the same. At least 1/3 after first semester, and the same again after second semester. But most of those who made it to second year continued on through to the end.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IMHO knowing something about the target market/application is also very helpful. If you are writing a financial application you need to know something about finance, etc...

How you build apps will also depend on what kind of apps you want to write. e.g. If you want to write games you may be better off learning Lua http://blog.anscamobile.com/2010/04/lua-the-lingua-franca-of-iphone-games/ rather than Cocoa/Objective-C.

samsandy tell us a bit about yourself, what do you know, how do you learn and what kind of apps interest you.

B