how hard is it to replace the hard drive in new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Azmordean, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Azmordean macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I'm thinking about getting the new MBP - the base model - but I really want the 7200RPM hard drive as I think this could make a considerable difference with speed and even gaming performance. My dilemma is this - going to apple and ordering it BTO costs me a total of $2209 including tax. MacMall though is having a 150 mail in rebate, and of course, no tax, so with that my total ends up at $1849 for the base model. Thats a big difference! I could buy a 200gb 7200RPM from Newegg, put it in the MBP, and stick the 5400RPM it comes with in a cage and still save 150 bucks!

So, it seems it makes little sense to buy direct from Apple unless its impossible to upgrade the HDD yourself. Thoughts?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

search the forum. there are dozens of threads on the same thing

ifixit.com for instructions
    if you mess up then you are no covered under warranty
    if you know what you are doing then warranty is intact

3. Azmordean thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks -

I appreciate the input. I figured the new ones were the same but wanted to be sure.

4. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Took me about an hour (with an older MBP) - just get the right tools - make sure you get the right kind and size screwdrivers - which you can pick up at a Lowe's/Home Depot. I think that's where I picked up a multi-head torx screwdriver, and it's come in handy...

5. Paix247 macrumors 6502

I did my new Penryn MBP on Tuesay! Swapped the 5400RPM for a 7200RPM.
    The dirrections on ifixit.com are very good, but there are some differences with the new Penrym MBP. The bluetooth module wasn't where it was in the older ones, and a coupld of the screws are different. I think there was ribbon taped down where it wasn't before, which made it a bit more difficult.

I did it in about 1 hour. I had trouble getting the top casing back on without any gaps.

6. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

yes, beware of these differences.
    Took me just under an hour for my upgrade. Be careful with separating the keyboard area from the bottom case. DO NOT use a metallic tool for this. Use plastic.
    When done, make sure the top snaps back into place completely, especially the edge just below the track pad

btw, found out I needed the T-6 and T-8 bits for my model

7. akadmon macrumors 68010

With the 7200 rpm upgrade being only $50-$100 when you buy from Apple, what is the sense of doing the upgrade yourself? The identical 7200 rpm drives sell for around $180, so you're in fact $80-$130 in the red! Maybe you'll break even if you sell the original drive, maybe.

IMO, not worth the hassle and the risk of screwing up.

8. lekun macrumors regular

No 320GB option.

I have done it twice, and didn't think it was hard. I just took my time and had the right tools.