How hard is it to upgrade new iMac's hard drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by markw10, Oct 16, 2007.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

I plan to purchase one of the new iMac's and I assume that the hard drive is not user replaceable so I know there are warranty risks but a couple months ago I was able to upgrade the hard drive in my current generation MBP to a 250GB drive.
    When I get an iMac I plan to get the more expensive 20 inch version and want at least 500GB since it'll be dual boot (BootCamp) Windows XP/Mac. Even the 750GB is tempting. I may go the route of the smallest hard drive and then buy a larger hard drive and upgrade myself to save money but is this hard to do?

2. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

brass balls

If you have a pair go for it; look for videos that detail how it is done. Me, I would rather eat glass then open up my new iMac.

3. Leon Kowalski macrumors 6502a

Leon Kowalski

You'll prolly find this helpful:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4130605#post4130605

BTW, there are NO warranty issues unless you actually damage something in the upgrade process -- and even then, the parts you didn't damage are still covered. ...not just a good idea, it's the law!

Just think of it this way: Apple actually pays the knuckle-draggers at CompUSA "service centers" to rip apart computers.

...'nuff said,

LK

4. colorspace macrumors 6502

Thanks Leon,

I also have been wrestling with the issue of HD size/upgrade. I'd like to get mine with the base 500gb drive, but have the option to upgrade to a TB or larger later. So the info is very appreciated.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

With the price of externals getting cheaper and cheaper. Get whatever size HD fits your budget in the iMac, and add an external or two as needed. I thought of getting the 500gb when I got mine but opted for the 320gb. I added a 320gb WD My Book which I got for $89. I use the external to house my pics, my iTunes library, and it is used for Backup.

6. danimir macrumors newbie

new aluminum iMac 20" and 24" hard drive upgrade - swap

A really great hard drive upgrade\swap guide for new iMacs aluminum 20 and 24in is available here:

http://www.amfiteatar.org/content/view/155/57/lang,en/

I've used this guide several times to change the hard drive in my and my friends' iMacs :))

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Great, but it didn't exist when this was posted, so it's of little use to these guys. :D

Thanks for searching, but check post dates before replying. ;)

8. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

this one is the one that helped me the most..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YsCTNVEYt8

it's very easy to do, except to get all the lint off the screen when you're about to put the glass back on.. i needed A LOT of compressed air to get everything out..

besides that.. piece of cake