How hard (& protection of client details) to create checkout?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Dal123, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I recently purchased a Roland Vinyl Cutter GX24, to specifically create my own Graphics for my motorcycles and car; hopefully I'll be getting a truck soon too. So I thought if was to pay for Graphics I could afford to get my own Vinyl Cutter. I can also use it to manufacture my own stencils for custom wrought iron work. As you can tell I'm more physical work than you genius' on here (wish I was academic my back would not hurt so much:p).
    Graphics was my dream job, and still in my spare time I love tinkering with all this stuff and those on here have been really helpful and thanks to them I managed to create my website (99% was down to there help :eek:).
    So I thought it might be worth me creating a side business where people could place an order on a website; as it does not take too much to print/ cut the graphics. Would be fairly simple and not very time consuming, and hopefully a return on my investment. But this could be way out of my depth as I imagine it would be more application development than web design. Speaking with a friend that is pretty good on computers he will not attempt this sort of thing as the legal side of handling customers money and details is dangerous :eek:.
    Any input appreciated.:)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If everything is going to be custom work in the first place I'd probably just have a potential client email me with what they were looking for. Due to the nature of your business they're going to have to bring their vehicle in for the work in the first place (right?) so you can just do all the invoicing and payment on-site and in person.

3. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

A small amount will be bringing the vehicles in, to obtain more work and to eradicate myself fitting the vehicles I was thinking of just sending the graphics out as a self fitting kit. It's quite easy to fit the graphics, and there is a market for this area as there are loads being sent via ebay; but they take a big chunk along with paypal, so to avoid this was thinking of payment on my site and to avoid timewasters so they already pay for the product (or 50%) and it gets posted out, so I don't loose :).
    I have checked and there are companies out there doing this already like mentioned above (obviously competition but that's business ;)).

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Since there will be only a modest amount of payments to deal with you may want to look into what PayPal has. They can take a part of the profits, but you'll be paying for any reputable payment service anyways. I definitely wouldn't recommend setting up anything custom do-it-yourself or free. I haven't messed with payment services as I don't sell anything. The closest I have is a PayPal donate button on my site.

5. designguy79 macrumors 6502

I have sent up a handful of e-commerce web sites, and honestly the biggest question is not getting the security right (that is important, of course), but rather, how are you going to market it?

I would recommend creating a basic web site and using PayPal "buy now" or "add to cart" buttons. When the traffic starts coming and you know you have a niche or something awesome that will drive people to your web site, it will save you a lot of money up front.

Have fun!

6. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Thanks for input chaps:), I was just planning for ebay adverts and SEO to try to market (poor I know) but I think generating more business is what everyone wants to do.
    I was thinking of obtaining work by ebay (as I've seen there are a few people on there and they are selling small amounts). Then hopefully the word gets round. I know what you're thinking, don't need a website for that. But what I want the website for is to get orders (and make myself visible) for people that need signs long distances away and are willing to save a few quid and apply the signs themselves to the vehicles as it's not too hard. And would be the sort of work I prefer as would take smaller time on my part, as this is as a side business (hopefully).
    Thanks again for the input people :D.

7. star-fish macrumors regular

It sounds like your work is pretty custom based so you could just use a simple email form for people to submit queries and orders. Then once the details are finalised they can pay via PayPal. It's easier than them buying something and wanting this or that changed, or paying for the wrong thing or whatever.

Alternatively, if you're looking into it more seriously, then ZenCart is an excellent free e-commerce solution with a LOT of functionality. It does require more knlowedge and maintenance though, and may be too much for what you're trying to offer.