How Hard To Replace 3G Loudspeaker?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bigscotal, Nov 23, 2009.

1. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Just wondering if anybody has replaced the bottom speaker on a 3G, and if so, how hard they thought it was to do?

The volume of mine seems have diminished a bit recently, and I was contemplating fitting a new speaker module to see if it helps. I have watched a few "tear-down" clips on youtube etc, and it doesn't look too difficult. I would say I was reasonably competent at suchlike, having stripped down various other games consoles etc in the past to do repairs.

Anybody got any "yes, it's no probs", or "don't do it, it's a nightmare" experiences to share?

Cheers!

:)

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

You need to know what you are doing and also be able to solder fine ribbon cable unless you purchase the speaker, dock and microphone as a complete module. Sounds like you may have the skills.

3. bigscotal thread starter macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Thanks for the reply Gadgetgeezer.

I was looking at changing the complete speaker module, ie. speaker, dock connector and mic. If I were to do this, it sounds as if it should be relatively simple?

I don't really want to be starting in about the handset with a soldering iron!

:p

4. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

The entire lower part is separate and can be replaced easily. It will however void your warranty. I don't think you'll care seeing as you're already talking about replacing parts.

If you've taken an iPhone apart before you shouldn't have any issues swapping out this part.

Good luck.

5. bigscotal thread starter macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Ideal, sounds like a definate go-er then. Have gone ahead and ordered the necessary part.

Regarding the warranty, the phone was bought on 3G launch day back in July '08, so the warranty must be well and truly up by now. Thanks for the warning though.

:)

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Glad to hear, let me know how it goes. Always like to know when a plan comes together.

7. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Don't forget you will have to remove the logic board since the bottom right sits over the speaker module to connect to the aerial contact. Makes it more interesting. Please take anti-static precautions - a grounded wriststrap and mat if possible or at least make sure you are well grounded before you start - people forget that especially when I hear they have taken apart a phone in the pub!!!!

Whilst the risk is low, you need to be aware of the dreaded static!!!!!!

8. bigscotal thread starter macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Yes, i figured the whole logic board would need to be removed.

I have an anti-static strap, but have to confess I don't tend to use it that often when working on my PC's etc. Might use it on this occasion though.

9. djsiek macrumors newbie

flush with phone

my speaker gets nothing but gunk in it and i have to clean it all the time. once clean it is loud as. they need to make it flush with the phone.