how hard would it be?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by alfit4, Dec 18, 2011.

1. alfit4 macrumors newbie

So, i´m pretty lost in the iphone development world but i d love to develop a very simple and free ipad app.

The idea is to create a half photo / half video app for the ipad.
    With scrolleable pages, thats all. Let me show you what i mean with this little sketch.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9561844/Untitled.jpg

so there will be a few pages , half of the page is a video,( i dont care if the video plays itself or if there is a play button) the other is a picture, and this should work in landscape mode only.

how hard would it be to create this?
    which is the best way to aproach this humble project?

Thanks in advance.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How lost are you?

What are you comfortable doing?

What is the source of the photos and video? ...

B

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

I'm with balan,
    How far are you with coding, or do you mostly just sketch, do you know how iPad etc work.. Do you know what are the most used gestures.. Have you made a hello world? or you're just looking for a developer? just jot everything perfectly down on paper, or you will regret it, and keep adding extra features.
    If you have a bit more specific questions, you could head back to us :)
    Like, how to do gestureRecognizers, allthough, there are alot of tutorials around on those, it's a matter of step by step programming, jumping in is more like a baseball bat to the face, because it looks like a steep hill, but if you do it step by step, it's allright :)

5. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

What makes you think it is simple? Simple to use or simple to make?

6. alfit4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I´m comfortable doing the videos and the pictures for the app :D

i´m an artists, i´m working with some artists too, and we are currently working on this project with video and pictures/text and we want to make an app out of it.

Yeah i´ve made the hello word ;) and i´ve made some web pages too, programming a bit of html and using templates for the hard parts.

So i think it shouldn´t be too hard to make a simple app, just as shown in my picture, but maybe i´m wrong and the best thing to do this is to hire a developer, altought i´d prefer to do it myself, not for the money , but for the pleasure of learning a new skill.

i dont want to plan a very complex app and then feel frustated
    so is this a very complex app? could i develope it myself in a few months just by reading some tutorials.. asking.. ?

----------

in this case i was hoping for both.
    Simple to use because it would be just scrolling elements, videos and pictures.

and simple to make i hope because there is not fancy menus, buttons animations.. ect

7. 1458279, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011

1458279 Suspended

The truth is that most 'simple to use' programs are the hardest to program. This really depends on what you want the program to do and if there are 'ready made' API's to address the major aspects of the program.

Nobody here can give you a good answer to your question about if you can do this or not. The question as to how complex or simple it is requires digging into the specs and knowing the API's / OS ... etc

Your best bet is to start digging into it. Set aside a month to dig into this and then stop and see where you are at that point.

Good clear program specs are important, more important on complex apps.

I'd start with running through all the sample code projects you can that have some relation to your project.

8. balamw, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm not a fan of code by tutorial/example alone. If alfit4 said they had a fair amount of code experience or even HTML, maybe...

Otherwise it's time to read a couple of books at least if you want this to be a native app. I'd recommend the two Big Nerd Ranch books to you. Start here: http://www.bignerdranch.com/book/objective-c_programming_the_big_nerd_ranch_guide then go here: http://www.bignerdranch.com/book/ios_programming_the_big_nerd_ranch_guide_nd_edition_

An alternative view:

It doesn't sound too far from something that could be accomplished in HTML as a webapp. e.g. http://padilicious.com/code/touchevents/ (EDIT: several of the examples on the right side put together might be somewhat close to what you want already.) work on that and then package it up as an app with one of the HTML5->app tools.

B