How hard?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by LethalUK, Jun 5, 2010.

1. LethalUK macrumors member

Hello,

How hard would it be to create an application with a 'fact' and then arrows to move to the next fact, or previous one?

Thanks.

2. LastLine macrumors 65816

Pretty straight forward I do believe. I can't answer in exacting detail how to do it but it's not complicated.

3. LethalUK thread starter macrumors member

Easiest way to learn something like this, as I don't need anything more? :)

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Why not just create this as a web page? Why does it need to be an app?

5. chown33 macrumors 604

It's harder to charge $0.99 when it's a web page?

6. LethalUK thread starter macrumors member

It can also be used offline and everything with an app. Is the best way a book, or an online tutorial?

7. ranguvar macrumors 6502

Please don't create yet another crApp! What you're doing sounds kinda like a 40 Facts About Butterflies app. Seriously, make a webpage, not an app. There's enough trash in the AppStore already!

(And remember: Every time you create a crApp, God kills a kitten!)

8. LethalUK thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know. The App Store is full of rubbish. The amount of times I see an app, try to remember it and then search for it, only to not find it is one too many. No doubt this app wouldn't be useful to everyone, but some people looking for an app like this would find it useful. You wouldn't be able to find something like this without searching - it wouldn't show up when searching for something else, and there aren't any similar apps currently.

My idea, I know everybody says this, but it is different. I would have used it myself, and is a tool for everybody to use.

Basically, I would just like to have the app open, display some text, a 'fact' (not really a 'fact' but I don't want to give the idea away) and then buttons to move to the previous or next fact.

However, I don't know where to start. I know this would be simple (compared to other apps) and would just like to be able to learn how to do this. :)

Edit: In fact, if that was even too hard, then just a simple tap to move to the next 'fact' would be ok. :)

9. ranguvar macrumors 6502

Well, even if your app is going to very simple, you'll have to know the basics. I'd suggest you dig through the various "I want to get started with Cocoa" threads here on MacRumors and follow their advice.

10. LethalUK thread starter macrumors member

I understand that, thanks. I was just wondering if there would be a very simple tutorial for something like this, or if there was something in particular I should study just for this.

11. ranguvar macrumors 6502

No, start from the beginning. Get Hillegass' book. It's really straight forward, after some chapters you should be able to code your app. Plus, with a solid base you can continue to expand your knowledge and code better apps later.

12. LethalUK thread starter macrumors member

13. ranguvar macrumors 6502

14. chown33 macrumors 604

Make an actual web app, with HTML and JavaScript and png images. Get it working perfectly as a web app.

Then make a webview and point it to your bundled web app content. It'll be just like having a dedicated single-purpose browser view that only refers to your bundled content.

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/l...ence/UIWebView_Class/Reference/Reference.html

15. xStep macrumors 68000

LethalUK's book link should be the better one since it is iPhone specific and also from the Big Nerd Ranch guys.

For a great deal of data ('facts'), a SQLite database would likely be a better choice. Using Core Data and the appropriate tools this should be simple enough to set up.

16. LethalUK thread starter macrumors member

Ok, as always, thanks for all of your help.

So the book should give me everything I need to know?

As for the web app, I'd like to use a native iPhone app for offline viewing.

17. xStep macrumors 68000

Books never give you everything. That book should be an excellent kick start for iPhone coding.

Do you have a programming background. You might also want to get Kochan's "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" book too.

18. LethalUK thread starter macrumors member

Nope. I'm 16. I hope to learn some basics, have a practice and then try and improve before I learn some more.