Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayDH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Haven't seen many comments regarding this and it's something I'm curious about. John Gruber mentioned that his iPhone battery life was awful during the week he tested the Apple Watch, but didn't attribute it directly to the watch. Anyone see a difference?

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
I have noticed that it causes the iPhone's battery to drain a bit more quickly. Yesterday I had to recharge in the evening, which I rarely have to do. Today I've plugged the phone in when I've been in the car, and it's been fine (71% now, with watch at 64%).

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana
I've been trying to notice this but since I got my watch I've been looking up a lot of stuff on my phone and using it a lot more than usual. So I haven't been able to tell if the battery is being used more from the watch or me.

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Haven't seen many comments regarding this and it's something I'm curious about. John Gruber mentioned that his iPhone battery life was awful during the week he tested the Apple Watch, but didn't attribute it directly to the watch. Anyone see a difference?

Interesting question. I haven't seen much degradation. Of course today my watch only made it to 6pm before it died so I *may* have been checking it a lot more than I did my iPhone ;)

Maybe the connection drains the phone but not grabbing the phone and awakening it to check to see if there are messages/emails, etc. preserves the battery more than the connection drains it. My iPhone 6+ is still at 80% when it is usually closer to 40%...but it is a Saturday so that also makes a difference. Have to see how it plays out over time.

fleetingftw

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Mine was draining a little quicker today but not a huge amount and I think mostly because I typically keep bluetooth off, so that alone being turned on I expected a little less battery life. Hasn't been an issue in a full day of use though.

RhondaPVD

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
My battery life has improved. Highest usage was always "home & lock screen" just turning it on to check. With the watch the phone stays in my pocket, less drain.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Miami
I have been awake since 7:30AM and have been active.

It is now 9:58PM.

Apple Watch: 42%

iPhone 6+: 78%

Apple definitely went conservative on battery life estimates.

My iPhone could easily go 3 days without a charge at this rate.

TxRN

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
On the move
I've had to recharge my battery both yesterday and today. I've definitely noticed a difference. There has to be a way to reduce the power. Maybe reduce some of my notifications? I don't have many apps. IDK.

Mac128guy

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2015
London, England
I would think it would actually improve iPhone battery life because you are turning on the phone a lot less. At least that's what I've found since using my Pebble with my 6 Plus. Interesting to see some posts saying battery has decreased on their phones so far.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
My battery life has improved. Highest usage was always "home & lock screen" just turning it on to check. With the watch the phone stays in my pocket, less drain.

This is the thing right here. Whatever additional battery drain that may be present due to Apple Watch/Bluetooth connected to the iPhone is offset by the fact that I don't need to use my iPhone nearly as much.

AKRowdy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Using an iPhone 6. Usually have it down to about 20% by nowish. Currently at 38%. I don't use my phone nearly as much. Watch and iPad made up most of my casual / non-work usage. I even got an extraordinary amount of iMessage notifications.

Seems superb so far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.