How has iTunes revolutionized the music industry?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by isoMorpheus, Feb 3, 2010.

1. isoMorpheus Guest

Hi MacRumors, I'm sure you've all heard Steve Jobs speak of iTunes and the iPod as sea-changing products in the music industry. He noted in numerable keynotes how the integration between a digital music store and portable music playing devices has created a sum, a whole, that's more than its parts.

I have been thinking about this for a while but I still haven't figured out exactly how revolutionary this integration is. I understand that my lack of insight into the evolution of the industry is due largely to my lack of understanding of the industry, but that's why I am posting this question.

I hope I can learn from all of you about really how revolutionary iTunes and the iPods are to the music industry, I would gladly read articles written about this as well if you would be so kind and point me to them.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Legal and affordable music downloads, later even videos.

Compact store with good integration into Apple's MP3 player.

Downloading music also means less waste in producing actual real CDs to be bought at a store.

3. craigsharp macrumors regular

obviously you were born sometime in the late 90's... The iPod came about early 2000's. You must not have been around for cassettes and eventually CD's... I bought my first portable CD player mid 90's and it cost an arm and a leg... and could only play 1 CD at a time... I know that must sound ancient to you....

LOL... just jokin man.... the post above me is mostly right...

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You wouldn't be asking that question if you remembered using these: :D

[​IMG]

5. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

in a simple answer as everything has apple has done;

because it makes the process so easy.

6. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Not many other music players have their own comprehensive media stores to go along with it. iPod + iTunes is just the simplest, best way to go. Before iTunes, if you wanted to legally get music, you had to pretty much buy the CD/tape. Now if you only want one song, go ahead and buy that one song.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Before iTunes, you can only buy whole CDs.

No store had single song only. People want the convenience to buy a single song.