How has mobile wallet changed your routine?

If you use or will use a mobile wallet service, will you carry less with you?

• I will carry the same items I always do.

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • I will carry fewer items.

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

miamialley

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Orange County, California
If you use mobile wallet (Google wallet or other), how has it changed your routine? For instance, do you not carry certain cards, carry no cards, carry no wallet, carry just an ID and your phone?

If you haven't started using a mobile wallet service yet, how do you expect it to change things for you? Will there be items you won't carry anymore? If so, what items will you not carry?

Last edited:

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
If you haven't started using a mobile wallet service yet, how do you expect it to change things for you? Will there be items you won't carry anymore?
Not much difference in what cards I carry physically but now, I'll be able to use cards that I don't normally carry around with me. It's beneficial in case certain cards are running bonus points/cashback promos.

miamialley

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
How is something that isn't even out yet (Apple Pay) supposed to have already changed my life?
Apple Pay will not have, but the other services have been in use for a while. So obviously, referring to those for the moment. Geez.

Not much difference in what cards I carry physically but now, I'll be able to use cards that I don't normally carry around with me. It's beneficial in case certain cards are running bonus points/cashback promos.
I feel like until a service allows me to not carry any of my credit cards there's not too much point (meaning it's as ubiquitous as credit card readers). Swiping a card is about the same as using mobile wallet on my phone.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
Ideally it would make it where the only things I need on me is:
- License
- Phone
- Keys

Eventually I'd like my phone to get rid of my need for keys as well :D

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Apple Pay will not have, but the other services have been in use for a while. So obviously, referring to those for the moment. Geez.
Seems to me that you jumped the gun.

But to play along, it won't change much for me. I paid off all my revolving credit long ago. The only plastic I use is my debit card and one credit card that I only carry for emergencies. Credit card interest is for suckers.

----------

- License
- Phone
- Keys

No reason it couldn't replace your license too.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I will carry everything as I normally do.

I can't trust this tech just yet. Plus you never know when you'll need to buy something from a store without a mobile pay option.

miamialley

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Seems to me that you jumped the gun.

But to play along, it won't change much for me. I paid off all my revolving credit long ago. The only plastic I use is my debit card and one credit card that I only carry for emergencies. Credit card interest is for suckers.

----------

No reason it couldn't replace your license too.
What aren't you guys getting? People who've been using other services can answer this NOW.

I will carry everything as I normally do.

I can't trust this tech just yet. Plus you never know when you'll need to buy something from a store without a mobile pay option.
Yeah, still have to have credit cards around for a while.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I already have consolidated to a bellboy super thin wallet.

Until my license can be carried on my phone, that is about as thin as I can go.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
- License
- Phone
- Keys

Keep in mind that until they come onboard, if you travel, most rental car companies ask for the card used to reserve the car before completing the transaction. So while having a mobile wallet will be great, some places still require the same-old, same-old.

BL.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
I carry the same items as normal, can't rely on a NFC payment device to be there. Cards will be in my wallet, which holds the ID, and health insurance cards I need anyway.

Passbook did more to revolutionize. I stopped needing to print and bring paper for theater tickets and boarding passes.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Google Wallet, Apple Pay, Softcard (formerly ISIS). Mobile wallet is a phase that encompasses all such services.
I use paper money and coins.
I don't wish to have an unereasable record of what I bought where and when.
A cashless society is the end of anonymity, security and freedom.

Also, where I live :apple:pay is not available and credit cards are uncommon and not accepted in normal stores. ;)

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I'd NFC is useful. UK's touch to pay contactless system is really useful. Waiting for the chip and pin, putting in your PIN in public etc. Makes buying things quicker.

Pay looks like the security improvements are good - no need to put your card into a potentially dodgy card reader, have someone swipe your card details and clone your card etc.

miamialley

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
I use paper money and coins.
I don't wish to have an unereasable record of what I bought where and when.
A cashless society is the end of anonymity, security and freedom.

Also, where I live :apple:pay is not available and credit cards are uncommon and not accepted in normal stores. ;)
Where do you live?

Has anyone seen any of the mobile wallet payments accepted at restaurants? I can't say that I have. So, we still have to give them a card or cash.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I have definitely started carrying fewer items. I don't need my health insurance, car insurance, AAA, Starbucks, Kroger or PetSmart cards. If Target started using Apple Pay with its own cards, I could never carry that again. It'll likely be a few years before we could really not carry around a main credit or debit card, but you gotta start somewhere.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
If you use mobile wallet (Google wallet or other), how has it changed your routine? For instance, do you not carry certain cards, carry no cards, carry no wallet, carry just an ID and your phone?

If you haven't started using a mobile wallet service yet, how do you expect it to change things for you? Will there be items you won't carry anymore? If so, what items will you not carry?
Well Google Wallet has both a physical debit card and it is on phones, so it can literally be used everywhere. It is the only thing I carry.