How has no one mentioned Overflow?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jessica Lares, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

At least in the PowerPC section...

Found out about this app called Overflow today. It only works with Tiger. I'm currently using it on my iMac G4, but am thinking about installing it on my clamshell too. Works great, might just buy the license.

http://stuntsoftware.com/overflow/

Cool alternative to Launchpad anyway!

Attached Files:

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Can't say I think Launchpad is even remotely useful. The dock or a simple Command+Shift+A keystroke brings any application within reach.

3. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

+1 for Cmd+Shift+A for Applications, as well as Cmd+Shift+U for Utilities. I will say that I use Launchpad on my Intel machine though, I have things organized by folder, and launch them from there. For example, Games, Productivity, Communications, Media, Editing, Music, etc. all kinds of folders of apps.

4. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Well, I just have Overflow set to use the "Home" key on my keyboard, so works for me! :D I use Launchpad a lot on my MBP.

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

looks more like the Gnome 3 app launcher than anything else

Attached Files:

6. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Looks like a pretty nice application. I've always placed a copy of my Applications folder in the dock. I just use the "Grid" view and it works great for my daily activities. I'm typing this on my Mac Pro (running Lion) and I still won't use Launchpad because the Applications folder does perfectly fine for me. I may look into installing Overflow on my G3's (and my G4 upgraded Pismo) running Tiger and see how it goes.

7. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Since I downloaded Alfred I don't use anything anymore. :D Of course I have everything neatly sorted in folders, but I don't have to use any sort of launcher/command more than the one for Alfred. I open/search for files, open applications, calculate, define words, google, open websites and much much more with just option+space and a few letters. And I'm secretly in love with the logo so... Soon it will replace my girlfriend as well. Just sayin'.

8. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

LOL, I am still trying to decide between Alfred and Found. I think I might use Alfred in the end because when ML comes out, Found will be too much since it' a panel that opens on the left, and notifications open on the right.

9. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I also do all of the above, only I use the built in SpotLight, simple-works well-and no extra overhead.

10. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Spotlight was my reason for switching from Windows! But... Alfred does things Spotlight won't.
    For nostalgic reasons I still keep Spotlight around, under ctrl+space. :)

11. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Here is a link to a folder of scripts that will really improve SpotLights usability.
    You can also put these individually in your Dock, but I prefer to call them from SpotLight, such as here...

Attached Files:

12. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Nice! Thank you for that!

Edit: Oh, I realize now that it's those scripts that acts as apps to be, like you said, put in the dock. Then I wonder, what differense is this from downloading Alfred - apart from getting more app icons laying around?

13. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Quicksilver for me. Never used to care for typing in an app name, but after I tried it for awhile it just became so much simpler.

QS will also run other stuff such as bookmarks or scripts and you can even use it to drop documents on for non-default apps.

And then it has triggers. I've set up QS to use CMD+OPTN+Q to quit apps instead of CMD+Q. I go to close a window many times and end up hitting quit. At work, I have a trigger set in QS that calls an Applescript. That particular Applescript is a file copy from one server share to another, so it's simply a matter of selecting the file, pressing OPTN+S (the trigger I set up) and boom, the file copies to the destination.

Overflow is cool and I've used it in the past, but QS is just faster and more versatile to me.

15. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm the kind of person who goes on Google only to forget what they were going to search for. :eek: I only need to open apps without having to dig through them. Most of the time I decide on the spot what I'm going to do even. Hahaha.

[​IMG]

Quicksilver just seems really confusing. The less typing, the better. :D

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, for me it's the less "clicking" the better. :D

CTRL+SPACEBAR to call Quicksilver. TE to have QS search and bring up all results starting with TE. In this case TenFourFox. Press ENTER, it loads. QS also remembers the last item you told it to open or use so this could be as simple as CTRL+SPACEBAR then ENTER.

Attached Files:

17. wobegong Guest

18. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I used to use QS as an app launcher, but then I thought of spotlight. Native, its there. I have installed a lot of third parties before to improve my experience, but later on I did find that there are some work arounds with the native apps included in OSX. I love to have just the bare essentials. Lean and mean.

19. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Thanks for the link. It is what I really wanted, using spotlight it was like pseudo-command line heaven.

I am using it with my blackbook for now, I can't wait to be back in the office come next week to use it on my powerbook.