How has the iPad improved your life?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marvlaw, Jan 16, 2011.

1. marvlaw macrumors member

Hi,

I am seriously considering buying the iPad 2 when it is finally released and was curious about how the device has been a positive addition to the lives of current iPad owners.

Thanks

2. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

It's easier to surf the internets on my couch than with my MacBook. Nothing earth shattering, it's just a computer.

3. Chris. macrumors regular

Great for tweeting, internet browsing and instant messaging instead of the MBP. No need to boot it up, login and worry about battery life. So i'll say its changed my life by not needing to wait as long.

4. Cormles macrumors newbie

5. Maagus macrumors regular

I don't print anything. I just grab the iPad and go :) Also I was quite often hesitant to bring the Macbook with me (which is also my main computer), now I have used to grabbing the iPad nearly everywhere. It is almost unnoticeable (weight-wise) in the bag.

I started to read a lot. I read before on the iPhone and it was not as comfortable as on the iPad. It is like reading the actual book now.

And it is keeping me organized. I tried to keep organized by using paper notebooks and diaries but they were not so flexible. The iPad offers the intuitivity of paper solutions but offers much more flexibility (for example I like Calendar much more on the iPad than Mac iCal simply because it is so intuitive and offers the same look and feel as paper).

And most of all, I have learned to focus. Some say that true multitasking is missing from the iPad. I have to disagree. Multitasking is what distracts us. I am currently trying to achieve the same singletasking and focusing on my Mac via some fullscreen apps (Ommwriter etc.) and I am looking forward to Lion which should bring fullscreen to the OS.

So yes, for me the iPad was pretty big improvement.

6. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Huge improvement. I read way more. I am more connected and engaged more by virtue of being able to take the iPad basically anywhere without thinking about it (as opposed to lugging around my old MBP and/or Kindle). I totally love this thing and am never going back to life without one.

7. marvlaw thread starter macrumors member

Wow thank you for the replies. I have always thought it was cool, but didn't know if it would really add any new functionality. After looking at some of the apps, I began thinking I could really use one and wanted to hear the impact that it has had on other people's lives:)

8. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I find it really nice for YouTube surfing and a few casual games. Really into Lego Harry potter. Hope you enjoy it though if you buy one.

9. harpy macrumors member

I can use it in it's myriad of ways while on the toilet, as I'm doing right now.

So that in and of itself inreases your potential time to be productive, or to merely be entertained.

My electric bill is lower. Rather than have the main computer on all the time so that I have internet at the ready around the house, now I just charge it up. The charge can last for several days depending on usage. Thus there is a greatly reduced use of electricity just for the "always on" convience.

10. McGilli macrumors 6502

It has taught me that birds and pigs do not get along at all, so I won't be moving to farm now. Saved me that trouble!

;)

11. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

-Surfing the web is much more comfortable now
    -the tv is on, but I barely watch it. It's much more fun for me to read now.
    -I am the family guru now. Like the iPhone,with my iPad I now know everything.

12. paulos1990 macrumors newbie

I have had mine for 1 and a half days and it has changed my Internet use altogether

I'm soooo happy with it :)

13. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

It has improved my life so much. I dont know how i managed without the ipad :)

14. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I read my ebooks while chatting with my friends via Instant message. :)
    I have it where I can read, browse and listen to sermons all at once.

I love it. We will be getting a second one because I want one for myself, this will be my daughter's for sure. She loves it.

15. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

I've managed to plow through gigabytes worth of PDF magazines and books i've been collecting but never had a decent device to read them in.

Not to mention the comics and manga, or a 80% reduction in hand carriage weight&bulk during trips.

16. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

+1 :)

iPad goes everywhere I do (well, except the shower and on my workouts). I've gone completely paperless in the office as well. It's replaced PC/Wii/NDS as my go-to gaming system now too. All my tech books, flight manuals, and novels are on it.

17. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I carry it around in my Portenzo composition case which people mistake for a composition notebook, which is a slight deterrent for thieves. It also allows me to sneak it into work and watch Netflix once I get to a private area.

18. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

It has helped me to learn programming and overall better understanding of technology. I could do this on a laptop obviously but I prefer the iPad due to it's size and weight.

For my mother, it really has changed her life. She did not know how to use a PC before. I tried to teach her but honestly the right-click on the mouse, etc. was just too complicated for her. Haha, I know. To us it sounds crazy.

Anyways, I was home recently and she has learned to use the iPad. :) Touching the screen is much more intuitive than a mouse. It made me really happy when she can just pull out the iPad and show me something. That was impossible before, someone else had to print the recipes or help her with the PC. She even has an email! The iPad has really made a lot possible for my mother.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

20. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

21. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

yes it has basic inprovement in my basic area of keeping me organized and other areas of my life as you posted

22. THiPad macrumors member

After getting my iPad, I rarely use my laptop for "portable" computing. I just LOVE carrying it around. It is my universal ORGANIZER also.

I can relax with it, read, do games, learn, surf the web, read books and magazines, draw, take notes and record meetings, email, print, etc.

I use it everyday, and my only 2nd love would be my new iMac desktop.

Now, I only use my Windows desktop for some software programs that are not available for the Mac.