How has the MacBook's display fared regarding keyboard marks to date?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kylera, Mar 4, 2016.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I imagine that Apple's intention for the 12" MacBook is for people to be able to carry them around and do things just about everywhere, hence making it thin and light.

I'm currently saving up and waiting for the next iteration of the MacBook. However, one concern I have, and would like to ask current users about, has to do with keyboard marks and/or grease on the screen. The MacBook and the MacBook Pro models all appear to have one continuous glass screen, and there also appears to be next to no gap between the keyboard and the screen when the MacBook is shut. In the past, I have had to deal with grease and even scratches made by the keyboard on the screen after carrying a laptop around in a backpack wherever I went.

I've also dealt with this with my MBA, but I've been able to tackle this issue with a thin fiber keyboard cover that I would place on the keyboard before shutting the lid. However, the MBA's screen is a little recessed, so there's some space in there. It also doesn't help that I carry it (sleeved in a semi-hard Booq Vyper sleeve) in a somewhat small backpack that also has an iPad and a couple books in it, so I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad and books pushed against the screen while I'm in transit. I've also run home while carrying all that in the past.

So, to those of you who regularly carry your MacBook around to places, how has the screen fared? Do you recommend a keyboard cover, a screen protector, or an outright dedicated laptop bag suited for the MacBook? Or is the screen resilient enough as it stands? I'd like to refrain from getting another bag if possible since I enjoy run-commuting.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I carry my MacBook in my backpack every day. Had it since about last June. It doesn't get a lot of abuse in there, although it's also been on a number of international trips with me. I keep it in a thin leather case. No marks of any sign visible thus far.

3. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

I use my MacBook daily and carry it around the world for my work since release last year, and the screen shows no keyboard marks at all. The case itself is dented on several places due to bumps while travelling but everything functions normally. My MacBook was never ment to be my travelling companion, but my MacBook Pro was simply too heavy once I got used to the MacBook.
    The MacBook is not perfect, it really should have had 2 usb ports, but it is very close to being perfect for my kind of use.

4. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Why not simply buy a good backpack with a separate laptop compartment? Plus get a decent hard case like a Speck.

5. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

What kind of backpack do you use when you carry your MB around?

That's good to hear. I need something lighter myself because I can no longer JUST carry my MBA.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have a Tom Bihn Synapse 19 and a Joli sleeve.

7. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Mine gets grease marks on the screen all the time from the keyboard. Especially from the spacebar. I just carry a microfiber cloth with me in my bag and clean the screen when it needs it. Not a big deal by any means.